August 19, 2014

Weekending it - the moving edition

This weekend we cleared out my old place and loaded up the new place. A happy-sad occasion.

On Friday night after work we borrowed a friend's mini van and made two trips from my old studio to the new apartment.  We made a great team running back and forth about 30 times down the block since we didn't get a close parking spot. Fortunately the weather was cool and everything fit in the elevator.  It took 3 hours to move everything out and in, thanks to our time saving efforts of pre-packing and hauling things over in advance with the granny cart. 

As our reward we got Burger Bistro, our favorite local burger joint. 


On Saturday we waited for our IKEA delivery while assembling my old couch/bed in the new guest room which is looking quite full now.  Can't wait to make it crafting central.

Once the delivery arrived we started putting stuff together and then realized the delivery guy didn't give us one of our boxes.  It's my stupid fault for not double checking.  We were on hold and with customer service at IKEA for 50 minutes trying to sort things out.  Basically, we can't assemble the TV stand since only half of it arrived.  We will have an update in 3-5 business days about when to expect the re-delivery.  Grrrr.

But we assembled the sideboard which is beautiful.  It's like a real piece of furniture.  It makes a perfect home for all of the nice pretty painted pieces of "china" we got from the registry.  I love it because I wanted a way to display those pieces without them collecting huge amounts of dust.  Also, it cleared a whole lot of cabinet space in the kitchen!  Also, I love having a place that serves as a mantle top...for displaying cards on birthdays and for holiday decorations.  We are really happy with it and it assembled relatively easily.  Thanks Jess and Josh for the gift card that paid for this!


In the afternoon we went to the grocery store to stock-up.  Oh.my.goodness.  People you would not believe the freedom I feel to be able to go shopping and pick-up ingredients for more than two meals at a time.  I have SO much cabinet space now and the fridge is like a cave.  SO BIG. I am a happy girl in this kitchen.

For dinner I tried out our new Griddler with the waffle iron attachments.  Yum!  It was so nice to have ample counter space to do multiple things at a time.  We even got to use our cute little orange juice glasses.


Other things that happened during the week:

I put down all the rugs.  It was hard work especially when you order a rug pad and they send you one that is two feet larger than expected and have to cut it down with dull craft scissors.  The one in the living room (below) is 12' x 9' and took quite a bit of wrangling to get it down. 


We sanded, primed, and painted the kitchen counter table that I had at my old studio.  Man, who knows how old this thing is?  My dad gave it to me when I moved to Brooklyn five years ago and before that he had it in his office and before that his showroom.  I think it could be 20 years old but now it looks like a brand new colorful baby.  Me lub it.  AND I love the Kitchenaid that now calls the counter home.  Squee!


The final tour video is coming!! If you're annoyed about the delay take it up with IKEA and their delivery defectiveness.   

No comments:

Post a Comment