December 28, 2016

Kansas Christmas

On Monday we returned from our visit to Kansas for Christmas. Since we got engaged, we've traded holidays with our families. One year we do Christmas in Kansas with Dan's family and the next year we do Christmas with my family wherever it's being hosted that year. Since we had Thanksgiving with my parents and sisters this year, we did Christmas in the Midwest. The last time we had Christmas in Kansas was 2014, our first Christmas married! See that back here.

This year we did our typical Kansas trip traditions. We went to lunch and headed to the outlet mall. Terri Mom got Dan a pair of new sneakers and I got a pair of boots as part of our Christmas presents. Then we went to heaven on earth (aka Hobby Lobby) and Walmart. Both luxuries we don't get to enjoy in the city. Then we went home to play with Baby!


And admire all the Christmas decorations Terri Mom put around the house.




On Thursday Dan and I had a day-venture around the Kansas country. We went to Fort Scott to get our National Parks passport stamped and walked around the grounds. It was way better than I expected. Well done small town Kansas.







Then we went over to Chanute to see the Safari Museum (number one rated museum in all of Kansas). Again, very well done. We also visited Aunt Kandi at the library too.


Then we went over to Iola to the Russell Stover factory store. I loved it there. So many choices and it smelled so yummy. Dan hated it.


That night we met-up with friends Jeff and Cheryl and we had the most delicious Mexican food. They surprised us by inviting another couple, one of Dan's other friends from high school and his wife. It was a really nice evening.

The next morning (Christmas Eve eve) we opened presents as a family. Sam and Lauren had come down the night before and we opened presents and stockings all together.




Terri Mom got us all stick-on mustaches and super fun stocking stuffers including loads of candy.



That afternoon Dan and I went over to Grandma Wilson's house and made Christmas cookies with Terri Mom, Aunt Judy, and Kourtney. We also played Aunt Judy's new game "5 Second Rule" which was hysterical.




On Christmas Eve day Dan and I finished decorating the cookies and worked on a puzzle.



That night we all went to Kansas City to have dinner at Sam and Lauren's house. Sam made the most amazing smoked brisket and pulled pork. Lauren's family was there as well and they pulled us Johnson's into their Christmas eve tradition of lighting candles and reading the Christmas story. It was really sweet. I'm sad I didn't get a picture.

On Christmas day we went back to Grandma's house and spent the day with Dan's extended family. I love it there because it has such a warm and cozy spirit and there is great food and good company. It reminds me of when I was a kid and we would go visit my Dad's family in Iowa. A very Midwestern comfort feeling.




After the little kids opened their presents, all the adults did a white elephant gift exchange. The first gift I opened was an oil wrench. It weighed a ton and I had no idea what it was. Fortunately Allen Dad stole it from me (he really did want it) so I stole a Scentsy wax melter from Kaleigh who ended up with a box of stuffed emoji pillows. Dan got a small remote control indoor helicopter toy.

The day after Christmas we headed back to New York with suitcases stuffed with goodies, full bellies, and full hearts. We always have a great time in Kansas and Christmas is no exception. 

Tomorrow I'll share our Trip Favorites and other Christmas highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment