October 13, 2015

Weekending it

Gosh I love looong weekends.

Our weekend started early on Friday.  Dan met me downtown and we hunted for quality umbrellas since it was expected to rain.  We walked along the Hudson River esplanade and envied the lifestyles of the rich and famous that live in that area.  We ended up walking in a giant circle before the rain started.  We hopped on a subway headed uptown to go pick-up our tickets to see the King and I.  We got a steal of a deal with $32 tickets four rows from the stage (the people next to us paid $162 per ticket).  It was epic.  Typically the only way I see Broadway shows is to get rush tickets.  The process for this show was a little different but well worth it.  If you are 21-35 years old this is for you. 


Dan made reservations at a restaurant down the street that we had been to before.  It is actually the place where we had our second date when I took Dan to see the ballet for the first time.  Since we were "dressed-up" from work and had made a reservation we decided that counted as our fancy romantic date to check-off from our fall bucket list.  We both eat really fast so after we inhaled our entrees we decided to sloooooow-dowwwwwn and order dessert and try to stall a little longer before the show.  Dan had ricotta cheesecake and I had vanilla and chocolate gelato.  I tried to get a picture but the inside of the restaurant was too dark.

The King and I was absolutely stunning.  Our seats were basically on stage because the stage jutted out into the audience and we were on the side.  I took this picture on the sly so you can see.


Kelli O'Hara was Anna and there was a huge cast with at least a dozen little kids.  I LOVE Broadway kids.  So much talent.  They definitely stole the show for me.  We were completely entranced for the full three hours (super long) and I dare say it is my favorite Broadway show I've seen to date (well I say that every time I see a show). 


The only problem with seeing a show that ends at 11 pm is not getting home until 1 am because of late-night subway trains.  Boo.

Lucky for us, we were able to sleep-in on Saturday.  We spent the rest of the morning and afternoon doing laundry, putting away summer clothes, organizing the closets, and tidying the apartment for the arrival of Terri Mom and Allen Dad.  

We had hot coffee and warm pumpkin bread for their arrival. 


For dinner we decided to try Skinflints for burgers since the Narco cops I met when the Pope was here highly recommended it.  It was very crowded and we waited at the bar for 40 minutes before being seated.  The burgers were good but none of us felt they lived up to the title of "best."  Still glad we went.  


On Sunday after church we took a car service over to New Jersey to visit cousin Kourtney at her and Kaleigh's new apartment.  It took us a long time to get there but it was great to see their cute place.  I loved their vaulted ceilings and of course their decor.  Terri Mom took picture to show everyone back home.  I was too busy being envious of their cute little balcony to take pictures, I was daydreaming about how nice it would be to have an outdoor perch.

Kourtney took us to a cute restaurant called White Star where we had burgers for lunch but these ones were much better than Skinflints.  We all enjoyed our taste of life in Jersey City and visiting Kourtney.  Dan and I will have to venture over there more often.

The journey back to Bay Ridge was intense and long so we just relaxed the rest of the night and introduced Terri Mom and Allen Dad to our favorite Grandma's Pizza.  We also watch Interstellar.  




On Monday we adventured upstate and I'll share more about that journey tomorrow!  Here is a sneak peek.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment