October 26, 2015

Weekending it - Derby Style

This was a social weekend for me.  On Friday night Dan hosted a poker night at our place with a few guy friends.  Evidently they had fun although there are no photos because #boys.

I got to hang-out with Rebekah on Friday night.  She made a delicious shrimp and rice dish for dinner and I brought Sprinkles cupcakes for dessert.  We enjoyed caramel hot chocolate while watching Cinderella.  It was a great girls night.


On Saturday I headed to Connecticut with my friend Julia to visit our friend Amber and see her play roller derby.  We had the best time.  First Amber took us for wings at Eli Cannons and then we got epic cupcakes at Nora's.


While Amber was setting-up for derby, Julia studied for her test and I people watched at the arcade.  At 5 pm we headed to the gym to watch the double header.  You guys, I have never seen derby but it was SO entertaining.  I would never be able to do it since I am not aggressive and I prefer to skate without the goal being to knock into someone.  But, it was fun to watch.  We learned all the rules and really loved seeing Amber in her element.  Her derby name is Slamberry Shortcakes which was so perfect for her and she played awesome especially having just recovered from a severely sprained ankle. 


The games or "bouts" are also fundraisers for various charities. This one was themed and Amber's team dressed as vampires (hence the blood on her face) and the opposing team was zombie school girls.  



Amber is number 213.  "Cakes" is on the side of her helmet.




She is the one with the star on her helmet in this picture.  The star means she is the jammer and has to fight and push her way through the block.  


Her team won and she scored a lot of the points!!


All of her derby teammates were so nice and it was such an open and welcoming community.  I was so relieved to see Amber so happy and so well loved although I miss her close friendship desperately.  I am jealous of all the people that get to be a part of her life now.  

Then we stayed to watch the A team in Amber's league, the Wailers, play.  That team was way more aggressive, as if that was even possible.  I felt bruised just watching it.  They played well but lost to the Philly team. 


Amber and me.

The double header ended at 10 pm and after helping tear things down we went to a late night diner dinner and then collapsed in bed at 1 am.  Sunday morning we woke up too late for church so Amber, her roommate, Dora, Julia, and I went for a nice brunch before we caught the train back to NYC.

Back home, I shared some pastries I brought back with Dan and we snuggled in to watch X-Files. 

It was a fun friend weekend.  Now, on to Monday, but looking forward to my Momma and Poppa coming on Wednesday and only a four day week for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment