December 15, 2014

Weekending it

People!! It's only 10 days until Christmas!
Only 7 days until we leave for Kansas!
Only 5 days left of work until Christmas break!  YAY!


December has zoomed by so fast!

Anyways, this weekend was a bit of a disappointment mainly because it went by too quickly, we didn't do much of anything relaxing, and it was a lot of work.

Saturday was a lost day.  We slept in and then did errands around the neighborhood.  We sorted the laundry and then left it on the floor in the bedroom...it's still there this morning.

We got sucked into watching "The Wolf of Wall Street" which was three hours long and just a totally disgusting movie on so many levels.

I had a frustrating time in the kitchen trying to make coconut macaroons with melted chocolate on top.  PEOPLE!! Why can't Brooklyn sell almond bark???  Melting normal chocolate is absolutely the worst most difficult thing ever.  First I tried stove top with a bit of butter and cream.  Why I tried this I don't know.  It seized up immediately.  Then I did the microwave which worked okay but made an epic mess.  Then I tried to put a glass bowl over a saucepan with boiling water.  I'm lucky I didn't burn my fingers off. 

I also made Turkey Divan (a cheesy curry turkey and broccoli thing) but I didn't have the exact measurements for the spices and I only had cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of celery.  It was supposed to be for the church event the next day but the cooking times didn't work out so it sat in the fridge for Sunday night's dinner. 

We ended Saturday pretty frustrated that we didn't have a whole lot of fun and didn't seem to accomplish much.

Sunday is Sunday is Sunday.

Yesterday the Outreach Team organized a Christmas Party for The Guild for Exceptional Children which is a local school and adult day care center for children and adults with developmental and mental disabilities.  They have several houses in the neighborhood that are group homes for the residents. There were close to 40 guests plus people from Crossroads at the party.  It was a lot of work but overall a really great event. 




We decorated the cafeteria at the high school with tons of Christmas themed decor.  We prepared 50 bags of  assorted cookies, and gave each resident a winter scarf and Dunkin Donuts gift card to unwrap.  They were served lunch, had their pictures taken, sang Christmas carols, and played games. They all seemed to have a nice time and they were so sweet and joyful.






We were exhausted afterwards and did effectively nothing the rest of the day.   Fortunately I had dinner prepped in the fridge but I somehow managed to burn the rice.  Great way to round out the weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment