December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving was special because it was the first time Dan and I hosted family in our new apartment.   There was enough space in the kitchen to make all the fixings and seat more than two around the table. We were all able to sit together and watch movies, plays games, chat, craft, anything.  Everyone had a bed, space for their stuff, and snuggles.  It was truly a great holiday and I loved being able to share the home that Dan and I have made together with other people we love.  

On Thanksgiving morning, my parents and sister plus Dan and me all lounged around watching the parade.  I made waffles and my Dad made bacon and eggs (he showed me how to cook eggs over easy the way Dan likes them).



Mandy made her special pie crust (recipe to be shared soon) for cookies and pumpkin pie.  My Dad and Mom spent most of the day prepping the turkey and sides.  I helped by showing them where everything "lived" in the kitchen.  


We watched "Stand by Me" while Mandy and I made a Christmas fabric garland to replace my fall themed one.  I'll share a how-to in an upcoming post.


For our afternoon snack we had cheese and crackers, celery with pecan cream cheese spread, and pickled herring!  Even though Dan was away from his family this Thanksgiving we still followed some of his traditions. 


Dan, Mandy, my Dad, and me then played Clue.  I have been waiting and waiting to play this and it was a bit of a mess at first but then we all remembered the rules and figured it out.  Funny thing - after collecting lots of clues we all made guesses as to who, where, and what happened and we ALL got it wrong.  All of us, including Dan who guessed last knowing what everyone else had gotten wrong.  Hilarious.


Then it was dinner time!!!  My mom's cousin who lives in Little Italy came out to Bay Ridge to join us.  The table was overflowing but it was so nice to have family gathered around and to be comfortable in our new home.

The "kids" did the dishes as is tradition in my family and then we had amazing pumpkin pie made by Mandy.  We also rented Maleficent from Amazon which I really enjoyed.  Overall - a perfect day.



No comments:

Post a Comment