December 3, 2014

DIY: Quarter flat holiday garland

One of the unfortunate things about living in Brooklyn/NYC is there are very few craft stores like in the suburbs.  When I was in high school my twin sister and I would go to Hobby Lobby every.single.week.  No lie.

There is a small Michael's in NYC and other larger craft stores in the outer boroughs but I don't have a car and I'm not interested in riding the subway for two hours just to get some ribbon.  So, I resort to Amazon or I convince Mandy and my Mom to bring me things when they visit.  I also always stock up whenever I go to Chicago or Kansas or Connecticut, really anywhere that I go that has a Joann's, Michael's, or Hobby Lobby. 

Back in August when we were in Chicago for the wedding I picked-up a bunch of stuff from Joann's including several quarter flat bundles.  They had bundles with a variety of seasonal themed fabrics and I turned the fall ones into a garland that hung on our TV stand for several months.


On Thanksgiving day, Mandy and I took the Christmas bundle and made a new garland.  Even though I'm sure I'm the last one on this DIY garland bandwagon, I thought I'd share my technique.


First, cut up one of the short sides of the fabric about one inch space between each cut.  The cut only needs to be about an inch long


Two, using the cut as a guide, forcefully tear the fabric.  It should tear relatively straight but there will be loose fabric strands you'll have to pull off and toss. 


Three, fold the strips in half (hamburger style/short sides together) and cut them in half.  Repeat steps for all the flats you are using.  


Four, get a piece of twine or yarn and cut it the length you want the garland.  Tie loops at the end if you plan to hang the garland from hooks.  I used yarn which stretches, so you might have to trim at the end if it ends up being too long.  I suggest using a more sturdy string if possible instead of yarn.

Five, to attach the fabric to the string, fold it in half with the pattern facing out and lay the top (where the fold is) on top of the string.


Loop the bottom of the fabric behind the string and pull it through the loop created when you folded the fabric.  Pull the fabric taught. You can see what it looks like when you pull it taught - on the left side of the picture on the right below (see? the green with red polka dot fabric?). 


Sorry it's hard to explain - if you can't get it you can just tie the fabric to the string and that works fine.

Fill up the string with the fabric loops.  I used six different patterns and it filled the garland nicely.  Add more or less depending on how "stuffed" you want the garland to look.


Ta-da!! All for the cost of a quarter flat bundle! 


No comments:

Post a Comment