October 6, 2014

Weekending it

This weekend was nice because Dan and I got to stay around Bay Ridge and relax a bit.  In the morning on Saturday we had a Children's Ministry meeting and we decided to prepare a brunch for the attendees.  The night before Dan and I worked together to prep the dishes. I made the blueberry French toast bake, and Dan made the sausage and egg crescent roll casserole.  I also made two loaves of pumpkin pie bread and got to use my Kitchenaid!  We rejoiced in the fact that we have a big enough kitchen to negotiate three different recipes at once and the ability to load the dishwasher instead of balancing plates on top of the counter drying rack (which we still do frequently).


On Saturday morning we baked everything up and then dashed over to the Storefront to set-up the spread.  It was monsoon rain in the morning so the short walk from the apartment still got us pretty soaked.  I was raging mad because the egg dish didn't cook fully on the right side.  Someone, please explain to me how the dish could be completely cooked on the left side and nearly raw and soupy on the right?  Oh man was I mad.  All I wanted was to prepare something warm and delicious to help our volunteers know that they are valued and appreciated. And I had a soupy mess to show for our hard work.   People were nice about the egg dish but I was still annoyed.


We also made little gifts for everyone with a small scented hand sanitizer from Bath and Body Works and then a small bundle of fall maple cookies.


After the meeting we headed home and worked together to get the mounds of laundry done.  We're getting really good at working together.  Conveniently, the washers were open so we didn't have to wait at all to get our loads started, this is always a small blessing.  We took snuggly naps in between the wash and dry and Dan folded all the laundry so I could finish the nap.  So sweet of him.  He left me with the fitted sheet to fold.  It intimidates him. 

That night we decided to go out for Italian, mainly due to laziness and not wanting to cook after all the work from the brunch.  We went to Gino's down the block and had a really nice time.  That evening we started working on our thank you notes from the Kansas Reception and Dan joined-in to help with this batch.  The end is in sight!


I watched the classic Annie while doing notes.  My twin, Mandy, and I absolutely loved this movie when we were little.  We had it on VHS recorded from television with early 1990s commercials an all.  Every time we watched it we would cry at the end because we wished that Daddy Warbucks was our dad.  Then we would feel badly about that because we didn't want to hurt our real Dad's feelings.


Sunday was church.  More snuggly naps and dinner with friends at their house.  

So sad it's Monday already.


2 comments:

  1. Dan should take dad's fitted sheet folding boot camp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to teach him but I didn't demand that he learn...like Dad did with us. It's a special skill.

      Delete