October 15, 2014

Apple Treats

One of the things I really wanted to do with all the apples we got over the weekend was make homemade applesauce.


Dan and I love us some applesauce.  We go through a pack of these a week


Easy.  Cheap. Convenient.  Delicious.

But homemade is always better so I found a super simple recipe online from The Pioneer Woman


The most difficult part was all the peeling and cutting.  Also, the recipe called for six pounds of apples.  I don't have a scale so I just put a bunch of apples on the counter until I felt like they approximated a six pound infant.  The final product tasted good so I think my system worked.

You can put the cooked apples in a blender to made the sauce smooth but I have issues with putting hot things in blenders.  I'm not sure why.  But chunky applesauce was still great. 

Then I made apple pie bread.  I got the recipe from  Better Homes and Gardens.


Again, the most difficult part was the peeling and the grating.  The recipe called for pecans and raisins in the batter, but gross.  I only eat raisins in their natural form.  The pecans I had were salted so I was worried that putting them in the batter would make the bread too salty.  I did put the pecans in the crumb topping and that was perfect.  Yum!  People, I could eat crumb topping all day.  I know its pure butter and sugar but wow, it would be my last meal if I could pick.

We still have quite a bit of apples left and I think I'll attempt to make an apple pie.  Maybe I'll peel and cut all the apples in advance and freeze them before they go bad.  Has anyone done that?  Is it a bad idea?  Help.  

3 comments:

  1. according to aunt kandi you can peel them and cut them up just toss them with lemon juice so they won't get brown before you freeze. love you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Aunt Kandi (and Terri Mom)!! Are they still having trouble commenting?

      Delete
  2. yes. don't know why maybe when you're home again we can practice. love you. Terri Mom

    ReplyDelete