March 27, 2017

Weekending it

This weekend God decided to give me a lesson in extreme patience and preparation for having nearly everything not go according to plan. It was an exhausting exercise but I was aware the whole time that in reality, I only ever have perceived control in the first place.

Friday night I got home from work and Dan had already painted the accent wall in the baby's room. Yay Dan!


 He watched March Madness the rest of the night while I organized and started purging items from the front closet. Ta Da!!


I figured after a full day of work and then busy work at night that I would pass out. Wrong. It was the worst night of sleep I've had in recent memory. Again, preparation for a new normal, I presume. I just could not get comfortable so I ended up just dozing on the couch all night.

Our original plan for Saturday was to get up and around by 8 am so that we could get to IKEA when it opened at 10 am. Well, we didn't get out the door until 10 am. We waited in line at the bank for an unreasonable amount of time just to break a bill to get donuts. Priorities. The trains were in our favor in the morning and we got to IKEA by 11 am (opting for the city bus over the IKEA shuttle).

Surprisingly, IKEA was not crowded so we zipped through the store in no time. We were mainly there for a dresser for the baby's room and a shelf for our room. We don't have a car and decided to just get it delivered since I'm not helpful with lifting heavy things anymore. Something with delivery changed since the last time we'd been there and there wasn't same-day delivery so we have to wait until Thursday. That squashed my "rest of the weekend" plans. We also had to put back a lot of the smaller stuff we had picked-up since delivery won't accept things like lamps. We bought what the two of us could carry and went outside to wait for the IKEA shuttle to take us back to the subway.

30 MINUTES LATER the shuttle arrived (usually it's no more than 10 minutes) and I was annoyed that we didn't just pay a car service to take us and then we could have at least gotten those other items we weren't able to carry. Ugh, austerity.

It wasn't until we got into the subway station that we realized the local trains were not running south and we had to take a subway going the opposite direction in order to transfer to an express train that would get us to our area. Rookie error, always check the weekend subway schedule. Four different trains later, we got back to Bay Ridge. Had we taken car service, it would have saved us a good hour and a half.

It was 1:45 by the time we got home and I was tired and hangry beyond belief. This was practice for Dan in dealing with an adult-sized toddler. We had a gift card so we decided to treat ourselves to pizza for lunch/dinner. At that time in the afternoon we figured it would be quick.

2 HOURS LATER the pizza was finally delivered after Dan made multiple calls, was put on hold multiple times, lied to about our delivery time, and our order was canceled and resubmitted.

We spent the rest of the night watching basketball and then I decided to have Dan paint an accent wall in our room with the leftover paint. Since the room smelled and our bed was covered in junk, we had a sleepover in the living room that night.


There are so many things about Saturday I would have changed if I had knowledge about how events unfolded. Things that would have saved us money and time. But that's life. It's gotta kick you down every now and again.

Sunday we got to church extra early since Dan was on the welcome team. I thought I was being proactive and went to Trader Joe's before church. It was just as crowded at 9 am as it is as 2 pm. Lesson learned. We went to lunch with new friends after church and then took a cue from Saturday and got an Uber ride home. Was it a good use of money? No. Was it important for my sanity? Yes. Since we saved time we were able to take a quick nap before jumping into chores.

We picked-up the spare room, started massive piles of things being purged, and put our room back together. I whipped together a pathetic dinner and Dan did the laundry. Rather than going to the store and getting our list for the week, we decided we could scrounge for the next day or two and play a game and relax together for the rest of the night.

And now it's Monday again and a full week ahead. I wish I had the energy I used to. Does it come back after the pregnancy or is this how I'll feel for the duration of parenthood? I'm hoping if the weather turns warm soon and I see the sun more regularly I'll get my pep back for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. Energy comes back a little bit. Especially once Baby starts sleeping through the night! You'll feel like a new person! Then the energy you have is magically given to your child during toddlerhood, and I'm still waiting for it to return to me! You'll excel at parenthood! Great job with the nursery accent wall!

    ReplyDelete