March 28, 2017

Show and Tell Tuesday: Top Five

Today I'm linking-up with Andrea for Show and Tell Tuesday. Today's prompt is Top Five Pictures.


Since our baby is still in utero and we don't have any cute kid photos yet, it was pretty easy to narrow down my favorite five photos so far.

I'm doing my in date order as opposed to first to last

The first three photos I picked are just snapshots. I love professional photos with perfect lighting and perfect poses. But, life is not a professional photograph and so many of my favorites are just candid shots that capture a moment in time. When I look at them now they represent a whole season of emotion and memory.


I took this photo in July 2010, I had known Dan for approximately 6 months and I was already madly attracted to him. We were in the same small group and we all went rock climbing at a place in Brooklyn. Then we surprised Dan with a massive strawberry cheesecake from Junior's famous for his birthday. It was my idea, I bought the cake, I planned the whole event. I thought I was being obvious, and it probably was obvious to everyone except Dan. It would take more than two years from this photograph before Dan realized he was attracted to me too. But I love this photo because he is looking right at me taking the photo and, at that time, eye contact with him was gold. Still gives me heart flutters to think about those crazy crush days.


This next photo is blurry and not great quality at all, but life's best moments are sometimes blurry and of poor quality. I love this photo because for me it represents our dating days when we were trying to figure out how to be more than friends and be comfortable around each other. I remember on one of our first dates I asked Dan what were his "deal breakers." He said something to the effect of "unnecessary silliness." In that moment I was like, well...this might not work because I think the ability to be silly and carefree is essential in life. Turned out, Dan was referring to silliness in a work environment. We had a long way to go with learning about communication and clarity from that conversation. Truthfully, Dan loves silliness in the right context and man do we have a lot of silliness  in our relationship. He's going to be a really fun dad. 


My mom took this photograph in the fall of 2013, just weeks before Dan proposed to me. It reminds me of that time when we were still so young and unaware and just caught up in that budding romance and about to start a new chapter in our relationship. I have this photo on my desk at work and I love seeing those young faces every day.


This photograph is the opposite of the real candid life, it's my favorite photo from our wedding. For me, it's everything a professional wedding photograph should be. It captures the magic and romantic fairy tale feeling that is perfectly "wedding" but so completely opposite of "marriage." Also, I never feel like I'm dainty enough to be dipped, but in that moment it was effortless.


And while it's not the best photo by any means, it's the cutest one we've got so far so it's definitely in my top five.

1 comment: