September 29, 2015

Weekending it

Just catching-up here...I should have posted this yesterday.

This weekend my dear friend Stephanie was visiting us from Philly.  She had a four day weekend since the Pope's visit to Philadelphia was shutting down her place of employment.  She and I went to undergrad together at Cornell College in Iowa.  We were the star Stephanies of the history department.  She is finishing-up her dissertation at the University of Delaware (will defend this year) and ever since I moved to NYC six years ago she has come to visit at least once or twice a year.

Since we have kind of already done the touristy things together, this time we decided to go apple picking.  It was on Dan and my Fall Bucket list and I feared this was our only weekend it would work.  Fortunately, Stephanie was game.


We took the Metro-North train from Grand Central up to North Salem New York.  We went to the same orchard that Dan and I went to last year but this time we went during the peak of apple picking instead of at the dead end.  The place was packed with people and music and food and sunshine.  It was a perfect apple picking day.





Dan and I waited in line for grilled corn on the cob.  It's the only way I enjoy eating corn.  We also got hot from the fryer cider donuts.  Yum.




That night we took Stephanie to our local Indian restaurant and introduced Stephanie to the game Dix-it.

On Sunday, Dan and I did our regular church gig.  Whether it was my attitude, a miracle, or our new curriculum I don't know but my pre-k/kinder/first class went really well.  The kids were angels and I actually got the lesson across.  This success markedly improved my mood for the rest of the day.

We played games and watched movies the rest of the day.  The perfect way to spend Sunday afternoons.



That night we watched the lunar eclipse and failed to take good phone pictures of it (like everyone else) but it was pretty cool to see in person nonetheless.


Since Stephanie couldn't get back into Philadelphia over the weekend she stayed through Monday afternoon.  I took a vacation day from work and we enjoyed breakfast together and hitting major success at TJMaxx.

I had a nice time with my friend and sharing her company with Dan but after all the Pope hoopla and hosting, I am ready for a quiet week back with our normal routines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment