September 17, 2015

Says the Camel to the Hedgehog: Napkin Notes

People, I am not a pack-rat or a hoarder.  In fact, I get a high off of throwing things away and de-cluttering.  But sentimental things...I have a problem.

Even when I was a kid I had a shoe box under my bed where I kept special things that I didn't want lost or tossed.  In the dining room of our childhood home, Mandy and I each picked a cabinet in the hutch and called them our "special drawers."  It's where we kept projects, crafts, and other things that we felt attached to.  Mostly all small things.  We had a thing for small stuff.  Other people would call those cabinets "junk drawers."  Anyways, they are empty now.  Unprotected since my sister and I moved out, they became victims to my Dad's toss-it habit.  It's ok, we managed to salvage many of our favorite toys in a plastic tub in the basement clearly labeled "DO NOT THROW AWAY."  The tub contains our original Polly Pocket collection.  The legit Polly Pockets that actually fit in your pocket.  This collection is our future children's college fund.

But still, I have photo boxes now, six to be exact, that store old cards, notes, ticket stubs, and other knick-knacks.  Two of the boxes are Dan's where I stashed all his special things when we moved into the apartment together.  Another two are filled with treasures from our relationship.  Playbills, cards, tiny things to remember our adventures together, and now napkin notes.

I have three Ziploc bags filled tightly with old paper napkins.  Since Dan started stashing these notes in my lunches most days I couldn't part with them.  I kind of cringe thinking about how I am keeping these.  But they are so sentimental.  In my often fatalistic track of mind, I fear some day these napkins will be all I have to hold onto of those special moments.  So I hoard them.

I have shared past notes here and here.  This next batch is pretty creative and clever.






This one is my favorite.  Look at the cute scraggly camel.  "Hope you have a humpilicious day.  Says the camel to the hedgehog."  Obviously, that note was in my lunch on a Wednesday, hump day.




I mean, would you be able to throw these treasures away?  They are historically significant.  Researchers of the future will need these to write a thesis about the lost art of napkin notes.

Thank you Buddy, for loving on me in such sweet and sentimental ways. 

1 comment: