September 8, 2015

Weekending it - Labor Day

Ahhh, three day weekends are so refreshing.  I feel so empowered for the week when I don't have to deal with Monday.  Let's start a petition to change the work week to only four days.

This weekend I feel like I got my last gulp of summer and I am ready to welcome fall.  But it is still in the 90s outside for part of this week so summer is still hanging on tight.

Friday I got off work early one last time for summer.  I met Rebekah and her cuties to take a stroll along the pier.  We picked-up Dan and my favorite Grandma's Pizza for dinner and watched The Age of Adeline which was a great girl-night movie.  Meanwhile, Dan was at a Yankees game with Rebekah's husband and a couple other friends from church.

Saturday morning Dan and I got up early to get to Harlem by 10:30 to help our friends pack their moving truck to head to Pittsburgh.  I'm not going to lie, I'm not happy about their move.  I hate it when people leave.  But I put on a brave face, carried boxes, and categorically refused to accept their claims that they will "come back to visit."  Sure.  That's what they all say.   But we will see them next weekend since we are hosting their going away party.

We had a Chipolt-date (chipotle date) for lunch, did a little shopping, and relaxed the rest of the afternoon.  We meal planned, made our grocery list, and filled-out our Fall Bucket List!

On Sunday, our typically lowest attended Sunday of the summer, was Dan's turn to preach.  He worked really hard to get all the classes covered so that I could attend the adult service for the first time since June.  Then, 13 kids showed-up for the pre-k/kinder class.  Usually there is, at most, eight in that classroom and I didn't feel comfortable leaving two volunteers in there for their first time with that many kids, neither did Dan.  But then, Rebekah agreed to help them out so that I could still go to service.  I was feeling super guilty about leaving them back there, and guilty that they were missing service, and guilty that there were so many kids, and guilty that the supplies in the classroom are a little shabby.  I always feel unnecessarily guilty about everything.  I can't control it.

Fortunately the class went well and Dan did great preaching too.  It was also the first time I got to see our new head pastor Will up front even though he has been here for several months.  He gave Dan the most sweet and encouraging introduction and it made me so glad to see someone else give Dan a little boost.  I didn't snap a picture at church so I made Dan pose at home.  Preacher man!


It was amazing how improved my attitude was and my energy level after church all because of small break.  I was actually productive Sunday afternoon instead of being a total grouchy slug.  I attempted to make a version of our wedding cake with the box mix and frosting recipe that Mandy sent to us.  I failed big time and I was very sad and frustrated about it.   In my defense, Mandy's frosting recipe was very vague. 


It actually tasted good just looked terrible.  Imagine this instead.


We'll leave the cake making skills to Mandy from now on. 

That night Dan and I went out to dinner with some of my friends from grad school who also live in the neighborhood.  We tried Peppino's pizza for the first time and really liked it.  Then we headed to Lock Yard for a drink.  We had a nice time with them. 

Monday I slept-in while Dan watched a Bruce Willis movie.  I made muffins for breakfast and we lounged around.  We took a walk up to 86th street to use a coupon and grab Starbucks.  We did our weekly grocery shopping and then decided to have a picnic.

We enjoyed one last picnic on our sunnies hillside overlooking the water.  The grass was all crispy and brown and the air felt like fall despite the heat.


We rode our bikes along the water and about sweat to death.   


By the end of the day I was all about welcoming fall.  I flipped our quilt over, organized the linen closet, bleached the tub, and generally got the place in shape as if we are starting fresh...like school starting.  It was empowering.


We are trying our best to use the start of fall to kick back into routine.  Lunches being made the night before work.  Waking up early to do quiet time.  Doing some exercise before bed, etc.  

Meanwhile, Dan built a model car and watched Tomb Raider. 



It was a proud moment for him.

We have a busy week ahead of us but four day weeks are always more tolerable.  Happy Tuesday!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment