March 9, 2015

Weekending it

Dan and I were an epic team this weekend.

We hosted brunch at our place on Saturday for the church elders to meet and get to know one of the candidates for the pastor position and his wife.  Now, I like hosting but I haven't had a lot of practice and so it is stressful and so much work.  On Friday we got home from work and got busy right away.  We washed the entryway walls...yes, we washed them because for some reason there were hand prints all over them.  Then we made pizza and after that, Dan swiffered and vacuumed while I made scone dough, chopped everything needed for the next day, and set-up the beverage table.


It took me a good two weeks but I finally decided on the menu:

OJ/tea/coffee/water
Cheesy breakfast casserole (I used diced ham instead of sausage)
Biscuits and sausage gravy
Blueberry scones
Grapes

In order to cause more stress for myself I had never previously made the breakfast casserole or the biscuits and gravy.  If something went wrong we would have been in brunch trouble. Why do I do this to myself?   

Saturday morning we got up super early (ugh) and while I started making everything, Dan dusted the apartment and cleaned the bathroom.  We took showers and got ready while things were baking.  Then Dan stood by me in the kitchen and did everything I asked like wash this, put this away, get the cheese, etc.  I was a grateful and kind boss, I think.    


Around 9 o'clock I was starting to freak out because I had just started making the gravy (a difficult task in my opinion since I didn't have a mix) and I thought guests were arriving at 9.  Fortunately Dan reminded me that the brunch didn't start until 9:30 and I had plenty of time to do the gravy slowly.  Dude guys I'm pretty proud of how that gravy turned out.  It was thick but not too thick and the sausage bits were nice and big.  It was good.  I even had time to snap some pictures before everyone got there. 



Overall the brunch went well but our space is still a bit too small for 10 adults and three kids.  I wasn't able to sit at the table (the sacrifice of being the hostess) and I ended up running around with the kids most of the time.  The apartment was a mess when it was all said and done.


The rest of the day Dan and I relaxed and recovered.

Sunday I had the pre-k/kindergarteners again and we dragged our feet all day thanks to daylight savings.  Dan and I watched The Hunger Games: Mocking Jay part I in the afternoon and I made some yummy meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner.

Monday came way too soon, as usual, but we are so glad that we will have weather in the 40s all week.  Here comes spring! 


2 comments:

  1. Cute fox cookie jar! I laughed out loud when you questioned having your own kids- trust me, as a Preschool Teacher, your OWN children are always better than other peoples ;)
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reassurance Whitney! The cookie jar is from Walmart, believe it or not.

      Delete