March 11, 2015

Preacher Man

So last night Dan and I went over to the New York City Rescue Mission after work to help with the chapel service they have there on Tuesday nights.  One of the elders at our church as been doing the service there bi-monthly for years, I guess, and this time asked Dan to do the devotion.

Honestly I was not very excited about attending.  It was outside of my comfort zone and I had a million excuses not to go.  Truthfully the only reason I went was because I wanted to be there for Dan.  Afterwards I was glad that I went and convicted to go back sometime. 

The Rescue Mission is a homeless shelter in the city that provides services and programs to help the city's homeless get back on their feet.  When we got there I was super surprised by how nice the facility was and we even got a tour of their new edition.  Everything looked so clean and comfortable.  I didn't know anything about the Rescue Mission prior to coming but I left very curious about it and how we could help more.  Check out their website here.

At the chapel service we sang songs led by familiar faces from our church.  Dan, our friend Josh, and I got to sit in the audience and just participate.  I haven't been able to go to the worship service on Sundays for awhile since I have Children's Ministry commitments, so it was nice to get to sing and worship for a bit last night.   

After worship Dan shared a message about putting your hope in Christ.  It was relevant and well received.  I even snapped a sneaky picture while he was praying.


Love that Preacher Man. 

Next time we go we're hoping to get to help serve dinner before the service.  I'm looking forward to that!



1 comment:

  1. I agree that we should do again it was a lot of fun. Nice picture of me.

    ReplyDelete