March 23, 2015

Dan's Most Embarrassing Moment

This is a follow-up post to share my most embarrassing moment since Steph shared hers back here.  So sorry this is a few days past due.  I'm not as on-top of writing as Steph is.

One of my most embarrassing moments comes from high school.  I was on a mission/service trip to Piedras Negras, Mexico.

This was a great trip and the first time I had been out of the United States.  I went down there with my church to work with a local mission and did some work on the church and the pastor's house.  The majority of my time was spent working at the house for the pastor.  A friend of mine named Kyle, two other teenagers, and I worked mainly on digging a hole for a septic tank.  It was hard work.  We only had shovels and a pix axe to use no backhoe or anything.

Anyways, after a long day of working outside digging this hole in the hot summer sun we were all exhausted and went back to the church where we were staying.  I decided I was going to lay down and take nap to recover.

To understand the embarrassment of the next few moments, there is one thing you piece of information you need to know for context.  This was the summer of 2002 (I think) and the United States and Iraq were not on good terms and there was a lot of talk about the United States going to war with Iraq.

Anyways, I took my nap in the room where we were staying.  I was out cold and in deep sleep.  I remember being shaken awake by my friend Kyle.  I did not know what was going on.  Kyle shouted, "come on we have to go!  Iraq is bombing the border."  I was confused initially but he said it again so I decided to get up because I didn't want to be left behind and I followed him out of the room and into the large room at the church where several other people from the trip were hanging out.   At that moment they all started laughing and I realized that it was all a joke.

Soon after that realization, I found out why they were laughing so much.  In the rush of being woken up and having to leave because of the "bombing" I only grabbed the pillow I was sleeping on and my deodorant to escape back to the US.

I have no idea why out of everything I would have grabbed it would be my pillow and my deodorant. I was a teenager but I swear I didn't smell that bad.  It was very embarrassing and I got reminded of my decision of what to bring throughout the rest of the trip and even when I got home.

Below is a picture of our group working on digging that hole for septic tank.  I'm the one on far left with white shirt, red visor, and super blonde hair (Steph liked the blonde hair when she saw this pic).  Kyle is the guy in middle with the white shirt and blue shorts and looking into the hole.



No comments:

Post a Comment