March 30, 2015

Weekending it

All last week I was becoming increasingly annoyed by the caulk around our bath tub.  Remember when we first moved in and I went to town trying to re-do it?  Yeah, well apparently I didn't do a good enough job according to YouTube.  Even though we are renters I refuse to stare at disgusting caulk without doing anything about it.  So Friday night after getting home from work I decided to take-on two large projects at 7 o'clock at night. Why oh why?

One, make a bunting for the kitchen.  Cousins Kourtney and Kaleigh are moving to their new apartment this week so I needed to get a good start on the sewing projects I was dreaming about so that they could help me.  Kourtney pretty much made the first bunting on Friday night (well I did the cutting and the pinning).  I was so glad she was there to help because my machine has some unknown tension issue and she was able fix it for me.


I'll be sharing the the full coordinated line of kitchen decor a little later after I finish everything. 

Two, I put this magic 3M serum on the bath tub caulk around the tub bottom and floor.  It sat for two hours and then I just scrapped all the old stuff away.  It was SO much easier than my first attempt.  Also super satisfying.  Trust me, it doesn't look good but I removed like three layers of old caulk, one of which was a disgusting yellow color (and that's a crack between the floor and the tub, not mold). 


The next morning Dan did the laundry.  I'm so grateful for his willingness to help with chores like these.  We watched the office while folding the giant pile.


Then we took Kourtney and Kaleigh out for brunch at a local place called The Brooklyn Beet Company.  Now, you should know, Dan and I are NOT fans of beets but K&K totally are and have been wanting to try this place out since February when they first arrived.  Dan and I decided to take them there for a little farewell treat for staying with us the last two months in our little corner of Brooklyn.  They are moving on to bigger and better places and people in Greenpoint Brooklyn but maybe they'll find there way back to Bay Ridge...for the beets...and maybe to visit us.



We all enjoyed our meals and who doesn't love beautiful food.  Mine was basically dessert and might or might not have contained a half a jar of Nutella :o|

After lunch Dan watched basketball and I attempted bunting number two, unassisted.  It was a success and Kourtney was very encouraging along the way.

Is this day over yet?  Nope.  That afternoon, K&K headed to IKEA, Dan took a friend to see "Get Hard" for his birthday (he said it was as inappropriate as you would expect for a Will Ferrel movie), and I applied another round of magic caulk remover around the tub and then walked up to 86th street in search of bath mats to replace our mangy looking one.  Later that night Dan and I rented "The Judge" on Amazon prime.  It was really good but rather predictable.

Sunday was our usual church gig. I have to include a picture of this cute little monkey in my pre-k/kindergarten class.  My sweetheart teen helper told her to tell her dad, "look Daddy, I got a nose job." It was hilarious.


After church Dan and I made a trip to the real grocery store which is a subway ride away (I call it "real" because it has more than 5 aisles).  It requires two people, a granny cart, a lot of patience from Dan, some restraint from me, and a necessary purchase of Little Debbie Honey Buns.  We hadn't been to the grocery store in nearly two weeks so it was a big trip. This is how we feel most Sunday afternoons...exhausted.

This picture kind of creeps me out because we could totally pass as siblings
That afternoon I made a quiche dinner for a church family and we delivered it to them hot.  Then we came home and I made us meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner.  I also struggled through the new "Annie" which I rented on Amazon prime.  Guys, it was not good.  I had heard great things about it but I didn't like it at all.  Super corny and I much prefer the classic. 

And with that we wrapped-up the weekend.  This morning started off grand with train delays and having to sort out fraudulent charges on my debit card.  Monday, oh joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment