July 9, 2015

Recipe: Hummingbird Cake

Once a month I bring treats for the hospitality table on Sunday for after church.  Where there is food there are people and where there are people there is community and fellowship.  That's why we have a hospitality table every Sunday at church.  Coffee, tea, and snacks.

Usually on my week I get lazy and just pick up two dozen donuts from the local shop.  Sometimes I remember and actually bake something.  One time I made Hummingbird Cake and it was a huge hit.  I made it again for our first Couples Club and I made it again a couple of week ago to share with our new Pastor and his family.  This cake makes A LOT and the cake is dense so one slice is quite filling...unless you are Dan or me in which case two slices are obligatory.  Anyways, here it is.

The Stuff
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 large bananas, diced (they do not need to be overly ripe/mushy)

Get Bakin'
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix oil, pineapple, vanilla, eggs, and bananas until lightly combined
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until it comes together
- Pour into your prepared pan
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean


Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbs. milk

- Combine all ingredients together with a whisk until smooth
- Spread over warm (NOT HOT) cake


The frosting is really yummy on other types of cake too.  I added it to Dan's birthday cake (just a box mix) and it was fantastic.  Make sure you let the cake cool down significantly before you frost it otherwise it will just melt and slide down the side between the cake and the pan.  

The original source for this recipe is here

2 comments:

  1. This looks and sounds yummy! I need to try this and I am especially excited about that icing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The icing is the best part. Definitely try it!

      Delete