January 9, 2015

Something That We Do

Sorry I haven't posted much this week.  It's just that there is nothing going on aside from the arctic blast that is hitting us all and it super stinks.  Anyways, I don't have much to say right now except to share my current oldie song obsession.  But first some background:

When Mandy and I were in middle school we were in love with country western music.  Like loved it.  Do you know how uncool it is to like, let alone love, country music when you are in middle school?  It's basically social suicide.  But we just loved it so much and I still really enjoy it today (Dan doesn't - add that to the tragedy of his dislikes list).  Country songs are just so cornball perfect sometimes. Admit it!  Also, sometimes the twang is romantic in my opinion. 

Well, one of the artists that Mandy and I really liked was Clint Black.  We had his "Nothing But the Taillights" album on CD and we loved it.  I still really love when I happen upon a familiar song from that album on Pandora.  Like today!  Enter song obsession I've listened to on repeat for the last hour (thank you youtube!)


I mean how pure are those lyrics?  And the simplicity of the video!  "Love is why I love this song...and I hope you love it too." :o)

I totally considered this song for our wedding until I decided to sacrifice my secret attachment for country music in favor of a song Dan would like.  Regrets.  Just kidding. 

So, Mandy and I kicked our country music obsession sometime in 8th grade when the weather was bad and destiny knocked out the reception on our boombox and we couldn't pick-up the country radio station.  I still remember we were so frustrated because we needed that station to finish our homework!! Tears and yelling ensued.  We tuned the radio and landed on a mix station and there it was - we let go of country and got swept away with mainstream music.  It was bittersweet because we both loved country but realized how uncool it was.  We never would have made the switch (on account of the guilt we would feel) unless something else intervened.  Which it did.

Mandy do you remember this as vividly as I do??

Now I don't care about what music is cool I just like my tunes and I don't care who knows it.  Enjoy!

1 comment: