January 12, 2015

Recipe: Crock-pot Potato Soup

Over Christmas, Dan's Aunt Judy shared a bunch of recipes with me from the Wilson side of the family.  One that I copied down was Crock-pot Potato Soup and I was excited to try it this week.  Initially I thought it was going to be a problem to make because we couldn't find hash browns at our local grocery store.  Yes, I know, ridiculous.  I asked one of the cashiers and she directed me to the hash brown patties (alla McDonald's) and claimed she'd never seen "just a bag."  Ugh. Oh but pigs feet are well stocked in the meat section - since everyone uses those every day.  NYC problems.

Fortunately I found the bag hash browns at Trader Joe's and I put the soup together Saturday afternoon.  It was SO easy and SO delicious.  You must must must try it.

The Stuff
- 1 bag of frozen hash browns (Judy's recipe said "southern style"  I don't know what that means but I was lucky to even find plain old hash browns and they worked great)
- 2 (14 oz) cans of chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 oz) can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 (8 oz) container of cream cheese, softened

Get Cookin'
- Throw the hash browns, broth, soup, onion, and pepper into your crock-pot and stir it up
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours
- Add the softened cream cheese and cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cream cheese is melted and fully incorporated.  This is what makes the soup extra creamy!
- Serve with cut-up bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.




I mean it doesn't get any easier than that!  I've made a few potato soups before and all of them were way too much work and just not that good.  I was so happy with the way this one turned out and I can't wait to enjoy the leftovers at lunch.  Thanks for sharing Aunt Judy!

No comments:

Post a Comment