June 17, 2014

Surprise

This past Friday, Dan and I had plans to have dinner at the home of a family that has two teenagers in the youth group.  They are a great family and have invited us over other times to join them for a meal.  We had no clue but when we walked into their apartment on Friday night it was a surprise wedding shower for us with nearly the entire youth group there.  We were both shocked and officially surprised.

There was delicious food and desserts and just a nice time to all gather together for an event that neither Dan nor I had to help plan.  The teenagers each wrote down on note cards things about us that they liked or appreciated.  It was so touching because I know how hard it is to get those teens to do anything sentimental.  They actually wrote heartfelt things instead of "you're nice."  Dan got a really sweet note from one of the teenage guys who has struggled a lot but has really made a deep connection with Dan.  I know how much those words mean to Dan and how powerful they are to hear and know.  To me, those notes made the night perfect.  I would have left pleased with just that but no...there were presents!!


We got several items on our registry from the parents of the youth group including the tea kettle, picnic basket, both set of dinnerware, tiny orange juice glasses, and lots more.  It was wonderful.

They had us play the Newlyweds game which we did terribly at but all in good fun.  

We enjoyed the night but it was difficult to be the center of attention.  I'm used to planning and hosting and keeping myself busy with organizing and so it was hard to be the reason for the party and to navigate how to be a guest and be okay with everyone talking to you and watching you.  Makes me nervous for the wedding but I will say both Dan and I were touched by the thoughtfulness of the event.

These are the only pictures one of the parents got of the night.  We look pretty happy, I think.  


No comments:

Post a Comment