June 4, 2014

Recipe: Quiche

I enjoy cooking.  My Momma taught me the basics and I picked up some things from watching my Dad.  Although I like to cook,  I don't enjoy small counter space and mini stoves.  But, I've learned to manage and I look forward to the time...hopefully soon...when those inconveniences will be remedied!

I wanted to share some of the recipes I use on this blog and maybe encourage others to try them out.  I'll start with my classic quiche...or "egg in a pie shell thing" as it is sometimes called.

This recipe makes one quiche but usually when I buy the ingredients I have enough to make two, so keep that in mind.

The stuff
- 1 pre-made deep dish pie shell (these are sold in the freezer section in a pack of 2) If you are super ambitious and you have counter space you could make your own pie crust 
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup fat free half and half
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- Several slices of bacon (chopped) or diced ham
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (we only like the mild yellow onions)
- salt and pepper

Get cookin'
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a frying pan cook the bacon until crisp or if using ham brown it up a bit in a small amount of oil
- Add the chopped onion to the bacon grease or what's left in the pan from the ham, saute until the onions are carmelized
- Put the bacon/ham and onions in the bottom of the pie shell (straight from the freezer)
- Top with the grated cheese
- In a separate bowl mix the beaten eggs and half and half until combined, add salt and pepper to season
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese in the pie shell (make sure the eggs are fully beaten otherwise the yolk will cook like a hard boiled egg)
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes
- Turn the oven down to 325 F and continue to bake for 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
- Let set for 5-10 minutes before serving


Tastes great with a fruit salad and the special ingredient is to drizzle with maple syrup before eating.  Perfect for brunch, lunch, or dinner.


This recipe is so easy even Dan can do it.  You can also add veggies like chopped broccoli or whatever you think will taste good.

The original source for this recipe is my Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment