June 23, 2014

Brooklyn is good at surprises

On Saturday I had to go into work which was a bummer but had plans to go to an afternoon brunch directly after.  It was a brunch for the Small Group that Dan and I are a part of, and the time was pushed specifically so I could attend.  In my mind it was supposed to start at 1:30 so when I showed up at 1:27 I didn't think I was too early.  Woops, apparently I was supposed to arrive at 2:00 because it was actually a surprise bridal shower and I was the first to arrive.  SURPRISE!

I really was surprised.  I had NO clue and evidently Dan was involved and he kept it a secret for a long time and I seriously had no hints that anything was happening.  I'm very impressed, I don't think I could have kept it tight that long. 

Anyways, it was a truly lovely afternoon with fun and games and details that were specifically planned around my interests and it was very special.  It was a custom-made party for sure and the hosts, Janet and Julia, did a wonderful and memorable job.  Even though I had mentioned I didn't plan on having a shower, I was deeply touched by their thoughtfulness and care.  Thanks friends, a truly heartfelt thanks.

Now for the party details! 

The menu included decorating your own cupcake, adorable tea sandwiches, and delicious peach iced tea, and scones!  Mandy's blueberry recipe and a new lavender scone I had never tried before.  Yummy. 


The games were so creative and unique.  The first game was for each guest to write their own blog post sharing a memory they have of Dan and me or just me.  They were all so thoughtful and I will be using them to create a mash-up post to share here!  Stay tuned.

Another game was smelling several types of tea leaves and guessing the flavors.  There was a trivia game where you had to say if it happened in Denver, Kansas City, Brooklyn, or Chicago.  I did terribly at that game, apparently I know very little about the places I'm connected to.

The next game was so neat, I never would have thought to come up with it.  Each person got a "card" with a cut-out of a magazine photo on it.  Then everyone pulled an "occasion" from a cup.  They then had to caption the card as if writing a greeting card for that occasion.  Some of them were so clever and I had a really hard time picking a winner for that game.

The last game was making your own headband.  Each person got a plastic headband and there were trays of various trinkets and ribbons and pipe cleaners to add to make a fabulous hair accessory.  Way fun!




I am super touched by how all the games were related to things I enjoy like...writing cards, tea, and especially flower hair accessories.  Even the prizes matched my interests like laundry detergent (my second back-up career is folding laundry), ice cream toppings (my first back-up career is scooping ice cream) dish soap (I love to wash me some dishes), manicure gift card (who doesn't love getting their nails done?), and to-do lists and post-it notes (hello! love).  They thought of everything.

And of course there were presents!  We got the tea pot, the pie plate, the casserole dishes, some lovely lady lingerie,  a swing CD to practice dancing, the measuring cup and spoons, gift cards and more.  So excited!



Dan came at the end and helped me carry everything back to my apartment.  What a guy!

It was a day filled with lots of love, and I am grateful.  


Thanks to Janet for taking the photos you see posted here today.  I was way too caught up in the moment I didn't even think to take pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment