September 18, 2020

Check-up: 6 Years

I swear I published this post but I just found it in my drafts. Grrr. Oh well, better late than never?

Dan and I celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary on August 30. It was squeezed in, hardly celebratory or special in any way but not forgotten at least. Mandy watched the kids for a couple of hours and Dan and I ate Wendy's drive thru in the parking lot. Then we went to Target to get a new bed spread and then we went to a beach town and walked along the path by the water. We got ice cream and got home in time for me to feed Ivy again. Mandy and Kip made us cupcakes. It was very 2020.

That night we went on a quick walk right by our house and held our anniversary tradition to say a prayer for the next year and throw a penny in the ocean. 


Life is so crazy right now but I grateful every day that I have him with me to endure it together. Love you Dan.

Today, I'm posting our little relationship check-up which we are doing annually now.

See our previous check-ups here:

 
We always answer the same set of questions but we do it separately and we don't look at previous answers, so similarities are coincidental.
 
6 years:

1) What is your favorite memory of the last year?

Dan: Ivy
Steph: Meeting Ivy for the first time

2) What is your favorite part of parenthood so far?

Dan: Watching Kip's imagination and creativity develop
Steph: Having conversations with Kip and watching his relationship with Ivy grow

3) Something you weren't expecting about parenthood.

Dan: The constant need to do two things at once (like, feed one kid a bottle while helping the other go to the bathroom)
Steph: Two is HARDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

4) Something you were pleasantly surprised by about parenthood.

Dan: How much fun it is to play and interact with Kip and make up games with him
Steph: How it has changed how I see Dan and makes me more grateful that we have him

5) Something you learned about your partner after becoming a parent.

Dan: She knows a lot more about little kids than me
Steph: His gentleness and patience are never ending

6) Something to work on as a parent and a partner.

Dan: Better communication
Steph: Gratitude not judgement

7) Something to look forward to.

Dan: Holidays
Steph: Getting settled at the house and making new traditions here

8) Favorite thing about your partner right now.

Dan: Nothing. Just kidding...but it took him forever to think of something. Resilience.
Steph: He always listens 

These check-up questions tend to cause a lot of annoyance and grumbles...not sure how long we'll stick with it. We should probably focus on number 6 this year.

1 comment: