September 16, 2020

School Bus, School Bus, Back to School

September always gives me back-to-school vibes. Even though this year is bringing lots of different ways and means of going back to school, I still feel that nervous fresh start sense that I would get as a kid the night before school started.

This year, Kip was supposed to start preschool. We toured preschools back in Brooklyn in November of last year and we enrolled him at the beginning of January. He was going to go to a little nursery program at a private elementary school just two blocks from our apartment. The idea was to start him half day and then move to full day once he was adjusted. We wanted him to get more social and classroom exposure and to give the adult at home some break from two kids. 

Well, yeah we know how plans worked out in 2020. Ha!

I took Kip to his meet-the-teacher event in the Summer. It was a quick masked hello outside. Kip was shy. At the time we were not planning on moving so we hesitantly expected we might pull his enrollment depending on comfort level about classroom exposure and the virus. By the time the school administrator called me in mid-July to confirm his attendance, we were half-way to closing on the house and the health and safety of the schools was still unknown. So I just decided, house or not. He wouldn't go this fall and left it open for spring. 

Well, then we moved. 

So here we are, sad that Kip didn't get to try that cute little nursery program which I'm sure he would have loved. But, I'm happy too. Happy to have him home a little longer. Happy to hear his train noises and imaginative play downstairs while I work upstairs in my room. Happy to have lunch with him and afternoon walks and "coffee o'clock." And I'm excited to help Mandy do a little teaching. Very informal. Modest goals. Mainly just learning through play with a letter or number lesson here and there. 

We took an obligatory school photo to document the "first day." 





Grrrrrr...why do these photos look blurry??? They aren't blurry on my phone. 

Anyways, happy first day, however that looks for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment