January 30, 2019

2018 Broadway Review

I'm making a tradition of these little yearly Broadway recaps. I think Broadway is easily my favorite thing about living in New York City and I hope we are always able to take advantage of these amazing performances in our backyard.

2016 Broadway Review
2017 Broadway Review

This year, I saw six shows (Dan saw three) which is pretty astounding considering our extremely limited schedule. Four of the shows were new to me and two I'd seen before. For the most part we bought full-price tickets, we had one show gifted to us, and the repeat shows I bought tickets through TodayTix which very close to the box office price but you can purchase them online and pick-up the tickets from an agent right before the show. I really like this as a last minute option since you don't have to pay as many fees as you do if you went through a ticket site and you also get an actual ticket as opposed to a printed ticket. I like to keep the tickets so that's important to me.

Don't forget: See my Broadway, on the Cheap post for tips on how to afford Broadway (I should probably update this)

This year it was really hard to pick an overall favorite because a couple of the shows we saw were so unique and not like anything I've seen so it was hard to compare them to something more typical. Ultimately, I picked the show with the music that is still my favorite to listen to. If I can obsess over at least one song in the show and listen to it over and over and over, upwards of hundred times, then yeah, that's a knock-out number. The whole entire music ensemble? Now that's an all time favorite.
 
#1 Overall Favorite Show: Dear Evan Hansen


When this show first came out I was annoyed by the hype honestly because I kind of don't like the sob-story with a feel-good ending that I expected. But I totally judged this show by the cover and really had no idea what it was about. In 2016 I decided to listen to the music on YouTube and I fell in love with the songs so Dan bought tickets for Mandy and I as Christmas gifts last year and we saw it in March last year. We LOVED IT 1000%.  

Song obsession: For Forever

#2 Come from Away


Terri Mom and Allen Dad got Dan and I tickets for this show for my birthday. We loved it. It was totally unique in the staging and the fact that the cast members each played multiple roles seamlessly. It was fantastic music and the story was not only true but really uplifting despite the subject being 9/11. I don't expect this show to last forever so if you have a chance to see it you should. I think people shy away from it because they expect it to be sad but it's really not. Go!

#3 Once on This Island (no longer on Broadway)



This show was amazing. It was not on a typical stage but rather the theater was in a circle with everything in the center. And the setting was an island. It was really creative and unique and the talent was outstanding. So well done. We really enjoyed it and we were really glad to see it while it was playing.

#4 Mean Girls


This show was SO MUCH FUN! It was funny and ticked off all my boxes for Broadway entertainment (ok, except no child actors) but we loved it. Dan took Mandy and I to see it for our Birthday show and it was perfect.

Song Obsession: Apex Predator 

#5 Wicked


Always a classic and will always be one of my favorites. This was the third time I'd seen this show and the second time seeing it on Broadway (I saw it on tour one time). My Broadway fan friend was in town in January so I got us last minute tickets. We both loved it and I liked noticing even more of the subtle details throughout the show that you miss unless you are seeing it a repeat time. Tickets for this show are actually not that expensive now and I think it's a guarantee hit if you have trouble choosing what to see.
 
#6 School of Rock (no longer on Broadway) 


I knew this show would be closing in January 2019 so I got tickets for Mandy and I to see it together over the summer. She loves child actors as much as I do and I knew she would enjoy the show. I'd seen it before with Dan with the original cast from the front row and that was a really epic experience. I'd say the second time wasn't as good but man, it's always impressive to see 9/10 year olds with such amazing talent. I'm sad this show closed but Beetlejuice is opening in it's place! 

For far for 2019, we've already seen Kinky Boots but we don't have any other planned. There are a lot of shows that are changing over and I'm not 100% sure what we'll see. I'd love to see Moulin Rouge and maybe Beetlejuice (just to see how that works) and of the older shows I'd like to see Book of Mormon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment