August 5, 2015

The Hard Side of Ministry

So Stephanie contributes way more to the blog than I do but occasionally I get around to posting.  As many of you know, Stephanie and I are extremely involved in the church we attend and where I am employed part-time. 

Ministry has many wonderful moments from building friendships and community, to getting to be there for someone in their life through celebration (births, baptisms, weddings) and struggle (pain, tragedy, death).  Ministry allows you to serve others by supporting them, encouraging them, and loving them.  There are many rewarding aspects. 

Despite the benefits, however, ministry can be hard and taxing on a person or a couple.  It can be draining and thankless at times.  You can pour your heart, soul, time, money, and life into it and sometimes feel like you aren't getting anything out. 

Stephanie is a wonderful person who spoils me and helps me and works so hard in the ministry at our church.  Stephanie is the lead teacher in the Pre-K/Kindergarten classroom, runs are sign-in table for the Children's Ministry, is a leader on the Children's Ministry team, a leader on the Youth Ministry team, helps with youth events, makes all the event flyers, helps to coordinate volunteers in the children's ministry, and more.  On Sundays she also helps on the tear-down and hospitality teams, and regularly fills-in for others.  In my role, I serve as the Youth Pastor and Children's Ministry Director.  I also serve in the overall leadership of the church, am on the set-up and tear-down teams, lead a small group, and meet one-on-one to minister to people.  Being involved in our church is a huge part of our lives individually and as a couple.  Needless-to-say, we are both all over the place on Sundays. 

This last week was a hard week.  We had a difficult Sunday morning with some volunteer issues and kids being difficult.  It was also hard because we found out on Monday that a friend has decided to leave the church.  That came on the heels of a couple (very good friends of ours) announcing they will be leaving in September to move to another state.

Since I have been at Crossroads for over seven years, it is common for people to leave.   You know it will happen but it can be one of the most difficult parts about ministry.  It can be heart-wrenching because people will say "I have this issue or that issue" but it "has nothing to do with you" or "you are great person, I just can't..." Any reason is hard to hear especially when it is a person you invested in and who often times you considered a friend.  It is really hard not to take things personally.  It is also hard here in New York City because of how transient people are.   You can build relationships with people over the course of a year or two and then they up and leave for a new job, to live somewhere cheaper, or be closer to family.  At times, I feel frustrated about why they have to go, often feeling left behind.  When people leave there is a hole in our heart and a hole in the ministry.  We need every person to be involved.  When someone leaves it means someone else has to shoulder their load. 

But in the midst of these frustrations we can still hold onto the fact that God is going to be there no matter what and we can't control what people do or what they decide. We can only lean on Him.  He will never leave us. 

If you have a minute this week say a prayer for Steph and me and our church.  It has been a hard last few days in ministry on top of an already rough year.  

2 comments:

  1. I follow along with your blog and have participated in "link-ups" through the Momfessionals blog that Stephanie sometimes participates in too. I don't comment on many blogs, but I felt that this post needed a comment and a word of encouragement.

    I can relate to a lot of what you two go through with your church. My dad is a pastor and is currently the lead pastor of a church plant here in rural Alabama. My husband and I are part of the Core Team (the team that initially grouped up to start this church). I have seen much heartache through this church and many people just "up and leave." I've witnessed this throughout my life, being the daughter of a pastor. I can relate to how you said it's hard not to take it personally. It was very hard as a daughter to see my dad come home from a church meeting and cry because certain families were leaving or someone got their feelings hurt along the way and chose not to do the Biblical thing and bring it to anyone's attention and they just left. Seeing the real pain that this caused my dad was hard.

    Being a member of a church plant is a very trying process. My parents, my younger brother, my in-laws, my husband and our two sons (ages 3 and 1) all attend this church. I completely understand how you have to pick up the load of someone else when they bow out of responsibilities at church. I've seen each of my family members do this countless times. My sons are the only ones in the nursery, and therefore, the only ones who help run the nursery are my mom, my mother-in-law, or myself. It's rough coming into church and seeing only a handful of people. It's hard not to compare ourselves with others.

    But I find solace in His word. "Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd. Then He said to His disciples, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Therefore, beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into His harvest field." (Matthew 9: 36-38).

    I am praying for you both. I understand your frustrations. I've been there. I am there now. I feel guilty with being frustrated at church, because it's church! And going to church and praising God and learning more about Him should make us happy, but it's sometimes frustrating when you're in the middle of the muck and the mire-- the hard times that can be very trying.

    Please keep your heads up. You guys are in the midst of a fabulous ministry in the greatest city in the world! (in my opinion). Prayers are going up for you two. May God richly bless you and your efforts.

    _Reba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reba! Thank you so much for being willing to post this comment. Your words mean so much to me and Dan and it definitely lifted my spirits. Thank you! We appreciate the encouragement and the fact that you "get it." It's sometimes really hard to express what's going on without feeling like people will be judgmental or not understand. We will be praying for your church as well and trusting that God blesses both.

      Delete