August 4, 2015

Show and Tell Tuesday: Back to School Traditions

Linking-up with Andrea at Momfessionals for Show and Tell Tuesday: Back to School Traditions.  

I cannot express the relief that I feel knowing I am no longer subject to that Back-to-School dread.  I can confidently say I am officially done with my formal education.  Dan, he's on the fence for the time being.  And since we don't have kids yet, we effectively have no back to school traditions.

BUT, for the sake of memory and freshly sharpened pencils, look how cute!


That's Mandy (right) and me (left) on our first day of Kindergarten.  Those backpacks had Beauty and the Beast on them and I have an epic Lisa Frank ballerina bunny folder in my hands.  Oh the 90s.

And here is Dan.  He looks roughly Kindergarten age in this pic.  Terri Mom can confirm.


Interesting book choice...Berenstain Bears Bad Habit

And this:


Sit still child, you aren't a ninja turtle.

Although I always hated back to school, I did enjoy the back to school shopping.  Mandy and I would save up any new clothes and refused to wear them until school started.  We tried to convince our mom that all the markers at home were dry and therefore we needed new boxes, every school year.  Sometimes she fell for it.

Traditions I hope to start when we have school-aged kids:
- New backpacks every year.  This is something I always wanted when I was little and I hope we can make that happen and I can live vicariously
- Lay clothes out the night before and have supplies ready long ahead of time.  Nothing worse than feeling unprepared
- First day of school pictures 
- School year bucket list.  Just because summer is over doesn't mean the fun has to stop.  I want to create a bucket list with my kids every year of fun things to accomplish and do throughout the school months

While most of the country is headed back to school this week or next, here in NYC summer rolls on until after Labor Day.  But of course the school supplies have been on the shelves for weeks. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, I haven't heard Lisa Frank in forever!!! And loooove those frosted jeans...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Lisa Frank is making a come-back. I can feel it in my bones. Thanks for stopping-by, Cara!

      Delete
  2. Lisa Frank! YES! Let's bring THAT back as a back to school tradition for today's youth.
    -Erin (No Bohns About It)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH Lisa Frank how I loved thee...hehe. Love this and I totally feel the same about going back to school and traditions that I want to start...eeekkk...I'm going to have a Kindergartner...perhaps we need to get him a backpack...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun! I feel the nervous excitement for back to school already! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete