July 29, 2014

Handy DAN-dy

You know how I told you how much I hate allen wrenches?  Well, this weekend we accumulated at least five more because IKEA includes one, if not two wrenches in each piece of furniture. Yay!


After our long shopping trip and hauling boxes to our new place we got right to work assembling some of our purchases.  We started with one of the dressers because we knew it would be the most difficult.  We started at 4:45 and cruised along quite quickly in an organized team fashion until it came time to put the tracks on the drawers...


Then  we realized we assembled all six of the drawers wrong.  Classic!  That's when I quit the building process because this tired and hungry girl has no patience for that even on my most graceful day.   So I left Dan, with his abundant patience, to do the fixing.


Meanwhile, I set out to heat-up some dinner.  But that proved to be no simple task either because apparently Dan's microwave got damaged in transit during the move.  We both had to use our full strength together to pry the door open and then once I got things heated I realized we had no utensils to eat with.  So out of hunger desperation we shared a plate and ate with a meat serving fork.  Just makin' do that's all.    


Dan finished the dresser around four hours after we started and what a trooper he is for sticking it out through completion.  As a reward he got to unpack his suitcases and finally put his clothes away!


Now don't be thinking I was slacking after I abandoned Dan with the dresser.  I built a shoe rack for Dan's closet, found homes for the smaller trinkets from Ikea, cleaned some stuff, and put up a nice valance to complete the window treatment in the bedroom. 

Big difference right?
It was a long and exhausting day but we have a lot to show for it.  I love being able to see our work together turn the apartment into a home. 

2 comments:

  1. My patience was frustrated by that dresser! But got it done. I'm not building any more ikea dresser in near future

    ReplyDelete