November 2, 2015

Weekending it

First off, YAY Kansas City Royals!!! World Series Champions after 30 years!!!!

We were very excited to wake-up and see the Royals scored five more runs after we turned the TV off during overtime in the wee hours of the morning.  I bet all those people who left the stadium in the 9th inning, thinking the game was over, were kicking themselves.   Woohoo!


The Mets can have next year.  Also, let it be known, I have watched more baseball this week then I have my entire life.  And by watch I mean paid attention. 

Anyways, on top of the Royals win, this weekend was the best.

My Momma and Poppa arrived Wednesday night and they self entertained on Thursday.  Dan and I took Friday off from work and slept-in until blissful 9:30 am.  My Dad knows his way around the neighborhood after six years and fulfilled my mom's wishes by picking-up NYC bagels every morning.  On a somewhat whim, we decided to get a reservation at the famous steak house Peter Lugars for lunch on Friday.  Apparently my Dad has always wanted to try it - so we did.


IT WAS EPIC.  Definitely the most expensive menu items I've ever seen but it was a once in a lifetime experience and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Literally, lunch was the only thing we did all day.  






We shared blue cheese wedge salad with giant pieces of bacon.  Then we got steak for three, German fried potatoes, and creamed spinach.  Even though Dan and I like our meat medium-well we agreed to try Medium and it was yummy.  For dessert we got chocolate mousse cake and warm apple strudel.  They brought us a huge bowl of homemade whipped cream called "schlag" to top the desserts.  They also give the tables chocolate gold coins - like an after dinner mint.   

That night we snacked on leftovers and watch baseball. 

On Saturday, Halloween, we took my parents to Green-wood cemetery which is absolutely gorgeous and I knew my Momma would love all the old headstones and architecture.





It sounds weird to just walk around a cemetery but if you ever go there you'll understand.  It is gorgeous and peaceful and so unlike New York City.  Also, as we were leaving there were huge crowds getting ready to go on a haunted trolley tour through the grounds, so there...not so weird.  

We just hung-out the rest of the day and watched movies.  Then the cutest little trick-or-treaters came by to say hey! 


Crock-pot pulled pork for dinner and more baseball rounded out the night.

On Sunday we watched the NYC Marathon run through the neighborhood before church.  If you've ever wondered where the heck Bay Ridge is, it's the first neighborhood the marathoners run through once they cross the Verrazano Bridge from Staten Island at the beginning of the race.  Here are some of the elite men running.


At this point they are running about a 4 minute mile which is insane.


It is exhilarating to see all these ambitious people and yet watching them makes me less and less interested in ever running a marathon.  EVER.  But yay for them.

At church my mom helped me in the pre-k/kinder class which was fun and after church we all got sushi before my parents packed-up and headed home.  I was sad to see them go, it was a good visit.  


Dan did all the laundry that afternoon and I cleaned the entire apartment so we could start November right.  The night ended with X-files and more baseball, of course!

Happy Monday!  Happy November!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely an awesome weekend! As Stephanie said Baseball, Amazing food, especially at Peter Luger, adventures and fun time with family. It was a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete