November 13, 2015

Peeks from the Week

Happy almost weekend!!  Although I enjoyed having a mid-week day off for Veteran's Day it totally confused me.  It does not feel like Friday, it feels like Tuesday.  But it's Friday! Woot!

Anyways,  this week felt like walking through knee-deep mud.  I'm finding it really really difficult to be motivated in the mornings.  I'm supposed to get up early and do a quiet time and then not rush around getting ready.  Every morning the alarm goes off and I shut it off and go back to sleep.  My brain is saying OK GET YOUR BOOTY OUT OF BED but my body is a dead weight and my brain is not powerful enough to get it moving.  I know I am a more loving person and have a generally better day when I start off right.  That should be motivating right?  Nope.  #sleepallday!!  I'm extending myself some grace and hoping to get on track next week. 

On Tuesday night Dan and I did our second "unplug night."  The idea is to pick one weeknight and put our phones in another room and leave the TV off.  We don't look at devices and we spend quality time with one another.  It has been a really positive experience.  This week we ordered Chinese food, played Uno and Farkle, and then painted snowflake ornaments to put on the Christmas tree next month.  We also listened to Jazz on the radio.  It was very cosmopolitan.


It did not feel like an original or novel idea but the counselor we have been seeing was really impressed with the idea and said she has recommended it to her other clients.  So try it!  One night a week, unplug!

On Veteran's Day I spent some time with Rebekah and her cute kiddos and then finally went to the grocery store after two weeks of our dwindling pantry.  In New York everyone uses granny carts to carry things around.  Our granny cart needs to be retired, she is missing a part of one side and you have to push her around gingerly so nothing falls out.  This shopping trip was a big one and when I got back to the apartment and saw the elevator was out I thought "just the usual for me."  So I had to make several trips up and down the stairs to haul the groceries.  And naturally I had bought about 10 canned items. Shopping with Dan is so much easier.


Also, interesting fact.  Do you know the definition of a Veteran?  I assumed it meant anyone in the military period.  Wrong.  Then I asked someone who was in the military and they said anyone who saw combat is a veteran.  Also wrong.  I did some investigating and discovered that a veteran is someone who served in the military but is no longer serving - having been honorably discharged.  Active duty military are not Veterans.  Also, whether or not you served in combat doesn't matter.  Weird right?  But, National Guard and Reserves are NOT Veterans at all unless they were called to active duty.   Retired military are considered Veterans but get added benefits because they served a certain amount of time.  Here is a good definition.

Enjoy the weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment