November 9, 2015

Weekending it

Sigh.  At the end of Sunday night I am usually always disappointed that I didn't accomplish more...or anything...over the weekend.  But then again, the weekend is the only time we have to relax.  So I forgive myself, mostly.

On Friday night Dan ordered Papa John's for our pizza night and we got to work in the kitchen.  Dan was attempting to fix our dishwasher which suddenly stopped draining.  We struggled on our own for an hour to take the innards apart.  Then we found a video on YouTube outlining the whole process so simply.  Um, what did people do without YouTube?

We did exactly everything it said to do in order to fix a drain problem.  It didn't work.  Now we're at a loss because if we call our Super he will say he can't fix it.  That is his standard reply.  Then we will have to call the Management Company and they won't fix anything without raising our rent.   It's a rock and a hard place.  Why have a dishwasher if it doesn't work properly?


While Dan attempted to fix the dishwasher, I emptied THE ENTIRE KITCHEN of all cabinet and drawer contents.  It was a huge undertaking but had to be done because the exterminator was coming on Saturday and they told me if I wanted the kitchen sprayed then everything had to be emptied.  Since I'm a rule follower, I complied.



On Saturday, the exterminator was supposed to come between 9-11 am.  He showed up at 1 pm.  And we couldn't leave the apartment because if we did and we missed him it would have been a waste.  Once he came, he was shocked that I actually cleaned out the kitchen.  He said most people don't do that.  He underestimates my vengeance against the roaches.

After he sprayed, we had to leave the apartment for three hours because of the fumes.  So we went to 86th Street to get Dan a new phone, enjoyed an afternoon treat at Panera, and then I got a new winter coat at TJMaxx.  Even though I am not supposed to spend any money at TJMaxx, Dan agreed I needed the coat because it was less than $100 and had thumb hole sleeves which is ESSENTIAL for my long arms short sleeves issues.

That night I moved everything back into the kitchen, made a double batch of banana bread, and we watched movies.


Sunday was a loooong day at church.  My lesson with the pre-k/kinders went well and then there was a "family meeting" after the service about church goals.  It went much longer than expected and poor Dan had infants - 5th grade crowded in the nursery classroom for an hour.  Needless to say, we accomplished NOTHING the rest of the day.  Here's the kicker, I haven't been to the grocery store in two weeks.   Therefore, we have been picking our way through the freezer and it's actually sort of impressive how many meals I've made without going to the store.

The laundry basket is full, I didn't meal plan, we fell off the fitness bandwagon again, and there was no bread for lunch today.  But we laughed and relaxed a lot this weekend and it felt good.  Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment