November 3, 2015

Simple and purposful crafts

Lately I've been working on some simple crafts and most with an organizational purpose in mind. Two birds!  I added "make time for crafting" to my fall bucket list and I wanted to share what I've been making recently.

Ribbon headband holder:


This idea was rolling around in my brain for over a year and I'm not sure what took me so long because it only required two supplies: ribbon and fabric glue.  It is attached to the wall with a command hook.


Photo/art display: 


I wanted to find a vintage yard stick and glue vintage clothespins to it but good luck finding those in this area.  So we improvised by painting a regular yard stick from the hardware store and gluing decorative ladybug clothespins that my mom gave me.  It is also attached to the wall with command strips.


Recipe binder:


Since moving to New York over six years ago, I've been using a journal notebook to write down my go-to recipes.  The journal was annoying me because the book doesn't open flat and I was increasingly frustrated by my less than nice penmanship and misspellings. 



Then I found a mini binder and mini sleeve protectors at Staples.  There were also matching dividers and pockets for the binder.  Perfect! Over the summer I typed up my recipes and transferred everything to this nice binder.  Everything is divided by meal type (main and side dishes, crock-pot, breakfast, baking, and other) and typed for a uniform look.  Not only does the binder open and lay flat but the page protectors keep stains from ruining the recipe. 

Now, I do love a well worn, stained, and handwritten recipe book (so much character and history) but I couldn't stand the time it was taking to hand write everything to my standards.  By typing the recipes I have a consistent look and no misspellings!  The pockets are also nice for storing recipes I haven't tried yet.  The clean look makes me happy.


I've been doing other crafts as well but they are purely decorative and have no real purpose, I will share those later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment