June 22, 2022

Last Day of School

Schools out for Summer!! YAY. Unfortunately, today is gloomy and cold and decidedly un-summer like. Oh well, at least yesterday was beautiful as Kip said goodbye to his first year of school.

This cute photo only cost me 6 sour patch kids before 8 am, but I'll take it!


As class mom, I performed my final duties of the year and helped host the class party. My partner class mom wasn't able to assist and it was stressful to manage on my own. I dropped off the games and end of the year favors the day before. Mandy helped me assemble some really epic summer sand pails for the kids, filled with lot of good stuff. We went overboard because I feel like I might never get to do class mom again, and you're only in Pre-k once, and there was just too much fun stuff to add!!


The morning before the party I went to pick-up pizza. I had called ahead to make sure they could have the pies for me before 11 am. When I showed up they acted like they had no clue and I near panicked to think I wouldn't be able to give the kids the pizza party they were waiting for. Fortunately the pizza place pulled it together and I was only 5 minutes late, running down the block with hot pies. The kids ate, did some crafts, and then we played games which everyone fought over. It was so chaotic I hardly took any photos.

Nothing was really going well or according to plan. It was obviously a sensory overload for the kids with some hidden emotions at play as well. Kip was very sad to leave his teacher and it's confusing for little kids to see their classroom packed away for summer. Somehow, during all the chaos I got each of the kids to sign their names to a picture mattes to give to their teachers. I was happy about that success at least.
 

There was no time for hugs or sweet goodbyes before everyone was pushed out the door. Maybe that's for the best. Rip the bandaid so to speak and leave the parents with the summer meltdowns. HA!

Dan and I took the kids for ice cream in the afternoon to perk everyone up. It didn't work much.


It will probably take Kip a day or two to regulate to the summer groove and the rest of us to regulate back to having both kids home all day, every day.

While it feels like the rest of the country has been on summer break for months now, we're just getting started with lots of fun planned ahead and only distant thoughts of Kindergarten in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment