March 6, 2020

Second Trimester Recap

O - M - Squee!!!! We are in that last third of this pregnancy. It has gone SO fast but I also remember the last stretch feels the hardest and longest because it just doesn't seem like you can physically be any more pregnant.

Honestly, I'm super excited at this stage and only slightly terrified (coronavirus). As for post delivery, I just keep telling myself that if I can get the breastfeeding off to a better start compared to Kip that the first three months won't be so depressing. And it will be summer and my mood and energy is always more alive in that season. 

But anyways, recapping the last three months.

I just took the 3-hour glucose challenge this morning. Ugh. I failed the first test which really shocked me since I don't have any of the risk factors. Also, I passed the test with Kip's pregnancy and my activity level and eating habits were SO MUCH WORSE with that pregnancy. Like, Dan and I went on weekly dessert dates and regularly ate McDonald's. The nurse told me stress, anxiety, and lack of sleep can interfere with blood sugar, and well if that isn't the trifecta of my life right now I don't know what is. Anyways, I won't find out the results until Monday so I got a double chocolate donut from Dunkin as my prize for sitting in a germ infested office for three hours with no food or water and four vials of blood later. 

As Mandy says, onward!


Symptoms
This trimester my worst symptom has been lightening pain in my pelvic area. Apparently my pelvic floor is pretty weak after Kip's birth and I never did anything to strengthen it. Also, this baby girl is carrying much lower than Kip was so I have a lot of pressure down there. It feels like that baby could fall out with the slightest sneeze and it can be very painful to walk. My doctor suggested wearing a belly band and that has been a life saver. It's just a reinforced fabric that has Velcro to tighten. I was totally skeptical that it would do anything but it truly makes a difference. It supports the belly and sort of pulls it up a little and I don't feel the pressure at all when I'm wearing it. 

I've also had lower back pain that is sporadic and consistent muscle spasms in my calves. I started taking Magnesium gly-something-or-other and that seems to help a little.

All that to say, I quit dance just after 20 weeks. No regrets. I like that extra TV time. #lazy. But I do have a significant walk to and from the subway every day so I do stay active.

Continuing symptoms:
Trainxiety (lord above this is awful)
Restless leg
Bloating
Fatigue (SO much more tired now with a toddler added to the mix)

My acne really cleared up and that is saying something because I always have breakouts even when not pregnant. Kip's pregnancy was full of awful acne but this girl is blessing me with the clearest skin I've had in my entire life and I am HERE FOR IT! I wish it would last forever.

I've started feeling consistent movements from her but the placenta is on top again, like Kip, so I expect to still have some trouble feeling and seeing things until a lot later. She does seem to move more and because she feels lower I can feel movements in my lower pelvis that I don't remember feeling with Kip. Even still, I expect kick counts will cause me undue anxiety again.

The Bump
I am at the point of feeling like a blimp. People offer me seats on the train now and people at work don't even bother asking they just say, "when are you due?" And some maternity clothes even feel tight. I have a long ways to go still so I know it will only get worse.

This was 25 weeks


And this is 27 weeks


Cravings
This trimester I only really craved a few things: cool ranch Doritos, brown sugar cinnamon pop tarts, and rain berry Gatorade. 

Aversions
Not too much. Still not loving baked egg dishes but I can eat them.

Preparation
On one hand I feel prepared and on the other I feel like we haven't done anything. I got her name per-registered at the pediatrician. I have most of my leave paperwork for work submitted (a lot can't be done until a month out). I have a mental list of a few things we need but it's so small. We aren't doing a baby shower or sprinkle (although a friend offered). I just don't feel there is anything essential we need. We kept all of Kip's baby gear and all we really want is a new stroller. Otherwise it's just going to be diapers and breast milk storage bags. We've started collecting clothing items (squee!) and Mandy has picked all the linens she wanted for baby girl.

Nesting is in full swing and I've got organization and purging ideas like crazy.

Most of the things I wanted to really focus on preparing for are related to Kip. The big bed transition is done. Potty training is going well. He is registered for preschool in the fall. We talk to him about the baby all the time and he regularly comes up and kisses my belly unprompted. I'm sure the arrival will be a shock to him but I do think he will be a pretty doting big brother.

It feels like we are in a good place but I also feel like I'm forgetting something. What essential thing is my pregnancy brain forgetting?

No comments:

Post a Comment