August 13, 2019

Weekending it

Recapping this past weekend because it was jam-packed.

On Friday afternoon, I got home early for Summer Friday and Mandy and I hosted a play date for Kip and a little girl that also lives in our building. Mandy and I introduced ourselves to a couple in the building lobby last weekend and they have a little girl just a few months older than Kip so we suggested a play date.



We enjoyed getting to know them and meet a new friend. Kip had fun too! Looking forward to more play dates this fall!

On Saturday we celebrated Kip's 2nd birthday in the morning. Be sure to check out all the photos here.


After we put Kip down for a nap, Mandy and I headed into the city to celebrate our birthday which was the previous Wednesday. Dan has always gotten me tickets to a Broadway show for my birthday and this year he got Mandy and I tickets to see Moulin Rouge which just opened. He was a smart guy and bought the tickets before it started really getting popular so he got a good deal. Mandy and I had lunch at Shake Shack and then strolled around the area before seeing the matinee.


We were very impressed by the staging and the choreography and overall we really enjoyed the show. The only reason we didn't LOVE it is because we are both really connected to the movie and were obsessed with the soundtrack in high school. I have a very strong happy memory of our family driving through the mountains of Colorado and we were all together and all happy and this soundtrack was playing in the car. The memory is one of the most visceral memories that I have from my adolescence and the soundtrack is tied to it. Isn't it cool when memories have soundtracks?

Anyways, the music in the show was different from the movie and I think I had in my mind that this show would bring me back to the happiness of that memory. That was an unreasonable expectation but still an incredible show.

After the show we went to 14th Street and shopped around and then sat in Madison Square a bit. It was such great weather this weekend and we really loved having time to chat just the two of us.

That evening we saw Be More Chill which closed this past weekend so Dan graciously gave Mandy and I the go-ahead to enjoy a double-show day. We loved Be More Chill. It was fun and the music was clever and it was more our style of show. Plus, we had no expectations and I've found that's the best way to see a show. It's based on a book about a high school boy who is a loser and misfit and he takes a computer pill that embeds in his brain to tell him what to do and how to be cool. It's about friendship and being yourself. The majority of the audience was high schoolers and there didn't feel like there was any AC in the theater so the BO was quite pungent. Anyways, we still loved it.


It was a long day and a late night but we really had a great day together.

Meanwhile, Kippy and Dan enjoyed their guys day together. They got burgers and fries and spent some time at the park.





On Sunday we got some time with cousin Kourtney at church!


Summer weekends are always filled with thrills and I'm already feeling mournful about the passing of the season. It will be fall before we know it. Boo! Trying to squeeze every last bit of fun out of the summer sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment