January 29, 2018

Weekending it

Doing a little bit of catch-up today. I wasn't able to blog much last week, as work was super busy and I was experimenting with some different pump schedules so I didn't have much free time.

Anyways, this weekend my friend, Stephanie, from college came to visit. She is my Broadway bud and also works in the museum field so we've always had a lot in common. She arrived Saturday late morning and I met her in the city for lunch and to check-out the exhibitions at the Museum of the City of New York.


That night we got home in time to put Kippy to bed, get take-out, and play some games.


On Sunday, Stephanie slept-in while Kip, Dan, and I were holed-up in our room trying to keep Kip quiet. Late morning we all got ready for the day, grabbed bagels, and then Stephanie and I went into the city to see Wicked on Broadway.


I scooped-up a deal on tickets from a site called Today Tix. They were cheaper than Ticketmaster and available last minute. I wasn't sure if it would be a scam or what but it was 100% legit and we'll be using the site again. I can't really do Rush anymore, especially while breastfeeding but I was glad we were able to see a show and for a pretty good deal (I paid $69 each for rear mezzanine. About 2 years ago I bought similar tickets from the box office for $100 each). The show was epic, as expected, it was the third time I've seen it.


Since Monday is my normal day home with Kip, Stephanie decided to stay through Monday. She got us tickets to do the Stage Door Tour at Radio City Music Hall. Initially, I had intended to bring Kip with us since Dan would be at work but with the flu going around and anxiety about doing a city trip without Dan's assistance I really didn't want to bring Kip along. It's hard to communicate what is and isn't possible with a baby while still being an accommodating hostess. Fortunately, Dan was able to work from home and watch Kip while we ran into the city for the tour.


The tour was really awesome. We happened to be the only ones there so it was like a private tour. We got to see behind the stage and look at the hydraulic system that operates the huge stage, we saw the costume room, learned about the history and the art, met a Rockette and even got to ask her lots of questions. It was a lot of fun and something totally different for us to see.













I got back to the apartment by early afternoon and took over Kip duty. It was a fun weekend but I'm exhausted. Dan was such a saint the whole weekend (as usual) and gladly stayed with Kippy all weekend so I could go out and hang-out with my friend.

I was really stressed about the visit because of breastfeeding and not knowing if I could pump wherever we were and having to haul my pump around. Every day I would nurse Kip and then pump until empty. I brought my pump but was able to go the duration of our time without pumping and just nurse or pump as soon as we got back. It wasn't necessarily comfortable but it worked and I didn't have to find a place to pump. I missed my guys though and wished we could have included them or just hung out with them. I discovered how hard it is to be social and have solo/friend time when your baby is always in the back of your head. Is this why it's just easier to be friends with moms once you are a mom? Deep thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I did the backstage tour at Radio City Music Hall several years ago with my Nana and LOVED IT! I would totally do it again! So much fun. I'm glad you got to have friend time, but you are right-- it's different when your friends aren't moms. Just a different season of life that we're in. And one day, our babies will grow up and be kids who are more able to tag along, or self-entertain at home while we get to do something special with a friend. Hard to think about in this stage now, but I know it'll happen eventually!

    ReplyDelete