January 3, 2017

Weekending it

New year, new look for the blog!

We had a fun and relaxing New Years weekend. I kind of loved having both Christmas and New Years fall on Sundays this year. At my job they always give us half days the Friday before and Monday was a holiday as well so it felt like a lovely long break.

Last Thursday night Dan and I met-up after work and saw The Illusionists on Broadway. This year for Christmas I asked my Uncle Greg for "experiences" instead of physical gifts. The tickets to the show were one of his gifts. Times Square was absolutely the most crowded I have EVER seen and it was so overwhelming and frustrating. We are guessing it was a madhouse because there are so many tourists in the city for the New Years Eve celebration. But anyways, the theater was smack in the middle of Times Square so we had to push our way through.


The show was awesome! It was a magic show that was meant to feel old-timely turn of the century. We loved the Clairvoyants the best because it was literally impossible to tell how they were doing their act. Apparently the pair won second place in America's Got Talent this year. We had balcony seats but front row by the railing so we could see everything. Fortunately, we were too far up to be called on stage as "guest participants." It was our last show of the year bringing my total to 12!! An all-time record, likely never to be exceeded.

On New Years Eve Dan and I hung out most of the day and had friends over for a bit to play with their baby. That night we got all fancy and went to dinner at the nice Italian restaurant near us. It was so yummy and festive. We go "out" a lot but rarely to fancy places so this was a nice treat.




We watched a movie the rest of the night and I was sooo tired by 11:30 but rallied until midnight to see the ball drop. We toasted to 2017 with our traditional goofy glasses and sparking cider (I bought grape-apple thinking it would be new and different but it was revolting).



On New Years day we slept-in, made muffins, watched TV in bed, and had a lazy day. The church we've been attending didn't have service on Sunday for the holiday. That night we made chicken pot pie and I made a butter pecan cake with maple buttercream frosting for Dan's half birthday.


This is the same kind of cake that Mandy made us for our wedding. The last time I tried to make it was an epic disaster (see here). I did a much better job this time.

We had a great weekend together and feel refreshed for the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment