January 9, 2017

Weekending it

We had our first major snow of the season/year this past weekend. I didn't even know we were supposed to get snow at all but we ended up getting 4-5 inches! I would have loved to sleep all day but we had tickets for Escape the Room NYC in the Lower East Side that afternoon. We trudged through the blowing snow and navigated awkward weekend trains to reach our destination on time.


My uncle gave us tickets for this experience for Christmas and I'll admit I was scared. I am claustrophobic and the idea of being locked in a room does not sound fun. But it was fine. Not traumatic at all. We were with 6 other people (strangers to us) and we were locked in the 1980s themed rec room and had one hour to locate all the clues and unlock the door. We had fun but ended up being completely overwhelmed by the other dominating personalities in our group. We tried to help solve various clues but I don't think either of us contributed much of anything. We were bowled over very easily. At the end we had to beat the Pong game on the Atari machine and Dan was trying so hard and was doing really well but ultimately the Clue Master just gave us the code because she said the game was basically impossible to beat. So technically we won since we got the door open in time but Dan and I didn't feel very accomplished.

We had fun but would have enjoyed it more if it had been just us or with people we knew. The people we were with were very nice it just wasn't much of a team effort.

Afterwards we trekked back home with the snow still coming down pretty hard. We played Sonic racing, watched movies, and snuggled the rest of the day. We watched Gleason which was a beautiful documentary but so tragic and sad.

On Sunday we went to church, did our grocery shopping, and lazed around the rest of the day. I'm really loving slow weekends.

For the new year one of my goals is meal plan for the week, do our weekly grocery shopping on the weekend, and make a full (semi-involved) meal for Sunday dinner with enough for leftovers for Monday night. So far I'm doing well! We had chicken pot pie last week and chicken corn chowder this week!

1 comment:

  1. I loved my experience with the escape room but I went with a full group of 6, I don't think I would enjoy doing it with strangers!

    ReplyDelete