November 1, 2016

Happy Halloween

My favorite part of Halloween is seeing all the cute kids in their cute costumes. I'm hopeful that eventually we get to be the people taking our kids around in cute outfits and stealing all the Reese's peanut butter cups. Sigh. One day.

Anyways, we celebrated Halloween mainly on Saturday with a costume party hosted by friends. They had outrageous decorations and themed food. So impressive.







I made these little mummy pumpkin hand pies to add to the spread. I got the recipe from Beth's blog.


For our costume, I wanted us to do a couples thing and I didn't want to buy something that we would never use again. My original idea was Raggedy Ann and Andy (Mandy and I did this in third grade). Throwback!


But, when I realized I would need to find overalls for Dan that he would HATE wearing and I would have to buy a ton of yarn to make the wigs, I scrapped the idea. I hunted on good-old-google for other couples costumes and got some ideas but landed on Mary Poppins and Bert, in his chimney sweep outfit.


Yes, I know the photo is blurry and it doesn't show the full outfit. I have to apologize because I neglected to get a full costume photo of us. I just didn't think about it and it is one of my larger regrets from this year. I'm really sad about it. The host of the party took photos of all the costumes on his professional camera so I'm hoping I'll get a photo at some point but for the purposes of this post I don't have one. I'm sorry. Thank you, Mandy, for giving me a hard time. 

But if you can imagine, the costumes came together really easily. I wore the fancy long skirt I wore to Sam and Lauren's wedding. Added a bit of red felt for the belt and took a red felt bow from my holiday decorations. Dan and I went to H&M and I scored a pretty close to perfect white shirt with ruffles and a pair of suspenders for Dan. We made the chimney sweep from a $2 broom handle, a package of black pipe cleaners, and duct tape. I bought both our hats at TJMaxx. Originally I pinned some felt flowers I had from my season-changing wreath to the hat and it looked pretty cute. Here we are testing things out a few days before.


I was worried my less than accurate hat would affect our chances of winning the costume contest so I went to the dollar store and got fake daisy flowers and I cut the red balls off of some hair ties to make the cherries (you can see it better in the top photo). One of the party hosts had told me that everyone would have to do a little cat walk to show off their costumes, so Dan and I practiced skipping and singing "It's a jolly holiday with Mary...Mary makes your heart so light..."

I think our performance pushed us over and we won the costume contest!! It was pretty steep competition. There was Mario and Luigi, two Captain Americas, Ursula, a Kermit meme, a stick man, a skeleton with full body paint, zombie cat, pirate, Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd, and the two judges were police officers after their little prisoner:


We were really happy we won because we're on austerity and the cash prize means we can do something fun.

After the costume contest, it turned into an all-out dance party with a fog machine, wild lights, and the best beats. We had so much fun dancing.




No comments:

Post a Comment