May 20, 2015

Twin Study

By now you all know that I am an identical twin.  Here is my cutie other half, Mandy.


Even though I am only one minute older than her, she is the baby of the family through and through and I love her.  I can't imagine life without her.  Even though we live in different states we text daily and talk on the phone weekly.  It's hard to explain but we are truly part of each other.


Ever since we were nine months old we've participated in a twin study program at the University of Colorado.  Throughout our growing-up years we did phone interviews and on-site testing that collected an array of cognitive and behavioral information basically over the course of our entire lives (to this point).  We never really know what happens with the information they collect but it seems like they use it to help determine how genetics and environment effect the cognitive and behavioral development of a child.  Who knows, you can check out the study's website here. 


Mandy and I liked it because we got special attention, sometimes toys, and now that we are adults, they pay us.   One of the tests I remember most from when we were little was they had our mom take us, one at a time, into a room (with a video camera set-up) and we had to play with infant toys even though we were like eight years old.  We had to play with those toys for a certain amount of time without being distracted or touch a giant wildly wrapped present sitting on the table in front of us.  I guess they were testing self-control?  Anyways at the end of the test they let us open the present.  It was sidewalk chalk.  You can't imagine our disappointment. 

Another time they had us race each other outside.  Yeah, that caused a fight.

We've done tons of computer tests, tests where they had us stare at phone numbers or faces of people with their names below them and then look at a piece of paper with the faces without the names and see how many we remembered.  We had to memorize strings of letters and numbers and answer a bunch of questions about our drug use, alcohol use, whether or not we con people, if we mutilate or harm animals, etc. etc.


Since we aged out of the program we don't do annual tests but every once in awhile they contact us to participate in a specific study.  They pay for our transportation out to Denver and give us a little cash for doing the test.  Woot!! Free trip home, yes please.


Mandy and I are flying out to Denver tomorrow and on Friday we will go to Boulder for a three hour MRI. Guys, this horrifies me.  I had an MRI on my pelvis last year and it was a whole ordeal.  I'm moderately claustrophobic so I knew I might flip.  It ended up being okay but the tech totally thought I was crazy when I yelled at him as he was trying to move me into the machine.  I said "wait!! I need to take my socks off.  I can't breath when my feet are sweaty."  So he rolled me out and I took my socks off.  Then I yelled at him again and insisted that I could not wear the noise cancelling headphone because "I can't breathe when I can't hear."  Drama much?  Eventually he convinced me that if I just waited for him to roll me into the machine I would be able to see the ceiling above me.  As long as I can see the outside I'm ok.  My eyes convince my irrational brain that there is plenty of air.


Anyways, the three hour MRI on Friday should be a real treat.  At least I know what to expect, somewhat.  Also the study lady said it costs them $500 an hour to use the machine so I better not bail.  Shame is enough to force me out of a panic, I think.

While we are in the MRI machine (we will be taking the test at different times - not sharing a machine, although that might help me not to freak out) they will have us answer questions and do other cognitive tests.  My guess is they are doing this to see which parts of the brain are active during specific questions and tests.  At the end we each get $200.  Then our mom is taking us shopping.

Can't wait to smoosh this bunny's face


I will report back about the experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment