May 26, 2015

Long Weekending it: Denver recap

I am sure you all have been waiting with bated breath to hear about the twin study MRI I mentioned last week.

Well, I survived.  We survived.

The trip was great fun so much so that I hardly took any pictures.  Just enjoyed time with my Momma and Poppa and sissy, Mandy.  Oh, and the dog.


Mandy and I arrived in Denver around the same time on Thursday and our parents took us immediately to get burgers at Ted's Montana.  They know the way to good attitudes is a big piece of meat.  After lunch we went to Hobby Lobby.  Now people, Mandy and I lived at this Hobby Lobby in high school.  We went there practically every week.  I have only been home twice since 2009 when I moved to NYC and so I hadn't been to this Hobby Lobby in likely eight years.  It felt good.  Then we went to Joann's and another art supply store because that's what you do when you don't have access to craft stores.


That night we snuggled with the pup (who is now over 15 years old and has lost her hearing but is still just as sweet as ever).  I went through the family snapshots drawer and brought back a wealth of memories to keep close to me.  As an archivist I feel it is best to spread copies of photographs across multiple locations in case anything happens it's not all in one place.  



On Friday morning our Momma drove Mandy and I to Boulder to do the twin study testing.  I went first and started with practice tests of what we would be doing in the MRI machine.  This was so we wouldn't waste time in the machine.  Then I gave my consent to the study and sealed it with a spit and urine sample.  Oh joy.  Changed into some smashing purple scrubs and walked down the cold hallway to my doom.


Now, the MRI.  I told you all that I am moderately claustrophobic and my previous experience with an MRI was less than pleasant.  This time the gentle and kind lab tech informed me that my head would be in the middle of the machine and that I would NOT be able to see the ceiling and NO I could not arch my back and tip my head in order to see the ceiling. That information started things off well.  Then he had me lay down as he proceeded to tell me that I HAD to wear the ear buds and NO it was not an option and it didn't matter that I didn't wear them before.  When I told him I would like to put the ear buds in by myself (so I could control how far they went) he refused.  I gave up on that issue but told him that once I got in the machine I might need him to take my socks off on account of the fact that my wind pipe is obstructed if my feet are sweaty.  Oy.

The tech was super nice and calming and reassuring and patient with me.  He put the plastic contraption over my head (which I wasn't expecting and not happy about) and adjusted the mirror above me so that I could see the projection of the computer screen behind me.  I closed my eyes and told him to tell me to open them only after I was completely in the machine and in position.  As he started to roll the bed into the machine (with my eyes closed) I could feel my heart rate increase, my mouth dry up, my body temperature rise, and my mind was spinning wildly in panic.  When I opened my eyes I could see the computer screen which was behind me on the opposite end of the machine but the mirror in front of me was projecting the image as if the computer was right in front of me.  My brain was tricked into thinking I wasn't in a small tube with no air but was sitting in front of a computer and I instantly calmed down.  Then, I rocked that 1.5 hour MRI test.  I laid still and finished all the cognitive tests and answered all the questions and did not spaz out...and I kept my socks on the entire time!

To say I was proud of myself is an understatement.  I feel my claustrophobia is conquered, perhaps.

We both got $200 and a picture of our brains.  And no incidental discoveries (this is when they accidentally discover a tumor or something). Mandy put the photos in Paint so we could see them side by side.  I'm on the left. Yes, I have a big head.  Call me Square Face from now on, Mandy does.


After, we went shopping with our money and had homemade steak fajitas for dinner.  Yum.  


It rained the entire time we were in Colorado.  It made everything super green but gloomy.  This was the only picture I got of the mountains when the clouds cleared a bit.  These are called the Flatirons and are just outside of Boulder.


The rest of the weekend was filled with more shopping, visiting with family, and being in total shock over how much has changed in our neighborhood since we were kids.

The sun came out as we were heading to the airport yesterday.  What a tiny lil city.  

 
Next time I'll bring Dan along to join the fun.  I reunited with him last night and it was SO WONDERFUL to be together again.  We missed each other hard.  I brought him back a goofy but fun souvenir.


No comments:

Post a Comment