April 30, 2015

Guestroom face-lift

This week my main post-work project at home was finishing the spare room face-lift.  I had an overwhelming urge to fix that room up a bit.  I hadn't seen the room in basically two months, while cousins Kaleigh and Kourtney were here, so when I went in after they left I felt like the room needed more cheer. I feel badly that it was so drab while they were here :o(. 

Initially, I wanted to do large color blocks on the wall but when I realized the project would involve measuring, chalk lines, painters tape, and strategy - I gave up.  Instead I opted to go with colorful vinyl polka dot decals.  They were cheap, easy to apply, and will be easy to remove when/if we move.  And no paint necessary!! I really love bright bold colors and mixing patterns and I wanted this room to be my palette.


We got a fun quilt for the couch/bed when we first moved in and Mandy made a cute felt garland to match.  You can get one yourself here.  It's called "Rosy Row of Roses." Super sweet.

Lots of color, lots of pattern, lots of cheer.  Mandy and my mom insisted the room would look juvenile with the polka dots.  Perhaps, but Dan and I like how bold it is and since it is the guest room/future baby room we're okay with that.  Also the decals are so easy to remove so it's not a big deal to change things up later on.   When I get up in the morning and I walk by that room I love how fun it is with the light pouring in and the pops of color on the wall.  It screams BYOR


I ordered some deep purple blackout curtain panels from Amazon.  They arrived in less than 24 hours.  Thank you Prime! That room gets a crazy amount of sunlight in the morning and there is a lovely florescent flood light outside the window at night.  Even with window blinds the light gets in.  I have no clue how Kaleigh and Kourtney were able to sleep past six AM with that amount of light pouring in.  But now there are curtains for our future guests.  I opted to tie the curtains and then they can be pulled down when necessary.  The radiators in our apartment are all directly under the windows so I'm a little worried about blocking that all the time. 

Sorry this photo isn't great but you can see how bright the light outside is

Finally, real art.  Dan and I were gifted a large painting by an artist who creates unique works in memory of the victims of 9/11.  The artist gave it to us when my boss mentioned I was getting married.   I had the painting rolled-up and stashed for a good six months and then poorly attached to the wall with command strips when the cousins were here.  Last weekend we went to a local frame shop to get it properly framed.  It is hung on the wall opposite the dots.


While at the frame store we found this awesome graphic print of Brooklyn with all the neighborhoods listed and the color was just too perfect so we scooped it up and Dan hung it.


We didn't buy any new furniture or anything dramatic.  It is the room where most of the stuff from my old apartment has a home but it's now a bright and welcoming place to host overnight guests and doubles as craft storage and Dan's ministry book collection.

Hotel Johnson is now accepting reservations.  

No comments:

Post a Comment