April 27, 2015

Weekending it

Happy Monday!  I am determined to at least start this week on a positive note and so far so good.  Spring weather has returned and Dan and I are looking forward to a four-day week with a mini trip to Philly planned for Friday.  Woohoo.

This weekend was kind of all over the place.  On Saturday I had a big to-do list to conquer and it started with laundry.  We are fortunate to have a few machines in our building which saves us a lot of back and forth time but you have to be really strategic about when you try to do it since there are only three machines for a six floor building and over 100 units.  Dan found the sweet time is before nine o'clock on Saturday.

While Dan started the laundry I tried to make monkey bread again.  Last week when I made it for the Children's Ministry brunch it turned out well but I felt like I should have cooked the butter and brown sugar longer in order to fully dissolve it.  This weekend I cooked it much longer and it worked against me.  The brown sugar didn't dissolve AND instead it started to harden.  It didn't turn out well at all.  We still ate it but I was disappointed and confused and we had to throw half of it away.  Now I am beginning to think the recipe I followed might be off.  It says 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar.  In the picture her stick of butter looks much larger than a standard stick.  A standard stick is 1/2 cup of butter.  Two sticks would be 1 cup.  That makes more sense right?  Someone help me out here. 


After breakfast Dan worked on his sermon for Sunday and then went to the local elementary school to help with the mural project that the Crossroads Outreach team is helping with.



While he was there I spent two solid hours like Cinderella scrubbing the walls and floor in the bathroom trying my darnedest to get the grout to shine.  It wasn't a total waste of time but the effort definitely didn't produce the desired results.  Can someone please explain to me why I care about the appearance of this stupid bathroom so much?? I was on my hands and knees scrubbing with a toothbrush!  Who does that??  But one thing I did discover is how to easily clean your tub.  Fill your tub with hot water and put 5-6 scoops of Oxy clean in and swish that around.  Let it sit for an hour and then rub down the tub with a sponge and drain.  It really made the tub shine which made me happy. 

We spent the afternoon up on 86th street running errands and going spring clothes shopping.

Dan preached on Sunday and he did such a great job.  He had to prepare something last minute when the scheduled speaker cancelled and he did fantastic.  AND he worked really hard to get all the classrooms covered in the Children's Ministry (much more difficult than it sounds) so that I could actually attend the adult service.  It was awesome.  I got hear the sermon live and I really like that, it's been awhile. 


I took this picture at the beginning during his illustration.

Sunday afternoon I meal planned and went grocery shopping.  I really really did it!  I shall report later if it was a success.

Enjoy your day!!

3 comments:

  1. "I can't eat and I can't sleep but I've got the cleanest house on the street!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good weekend! Yay for Dan and yay for meal planning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good weekend! Yay for Dan and yay for meal planning!

    ReplyDelete