April 13, 2015

Weekending it

This weekend was truly lovely for the most simple and unremarkable reasons.  Little things.

On Friday, Dan and I hosted our first "Couples Club."  There are several young married couples at our church that are around the same stage in life and all of us are heavily involved at church and so we rarely get to hang out with each other.  Some of us are in the same Small Group and all of us like food and games.  I suggested we all try and get together once a month for dinner and games and rotate the hosting, everyone liked the idea.

Since it was our idea, we hosted first.  Now, Friday was a rough day for me at work.  I ended up at Urgent Care for the yeast infection and then back at work.  Fortunately, on Thursday I had done a lot of prep so when Dan and I got back to the apartment after work on Friday we had roughly 30 minutes to get things going before guests arrived.  I am kind of a perfectionist host and I would have loved to have everything done ahead of time and taken beautiful blog worthy photos that made our home and life look like the cover of Better Homes and Gardens.  But, are you kidding me?  Let's be real, I served chips and onion dip for the appetizer and it was self-serve on leftover Christmas candy cane paper plates.  Fortunately all our guests are good friends and I didn't feel too guilty being less than my best.  The judgement I felt was coming exclusively from me.  I just tried to embrace it all and BYOR

We had salad, garlic cheesy bread, and roasted red pepper Alfredo for dinner.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it but I knowingly should have made more.  Remember how in the past I have mentioned that I always seem to make or do things for company that I have never tried before?  Yeah, I got an immersion blender for making the Alfredo sauce and I had never used it before.  It turned out fine but it could have been a disaster.

I was so busy scrambling around and trying to get everything together that I only got one photo.  It was taken after dinner when we were playing a game called Wise or Otherwise.


After that we had hummingbird cake for dessert and then played a cutthroat game of Catchphrase.  We all had a good time and laughed hard.  That is my marker for a successful hosting event.  

On Saturday Dan went and helped with a local mural project and I  bummed around the apartment finishing laundry, chatting with my Momma, and relaxing.  It was finally a spring day and I had the window open in the bedroom and it was so nice to hear the birds and screaming kids outside. We didn't do anything terribly productive on Saturday but that evening we said our goodbyes to cousin Kourtney who came over to get the rest of her and Kaleigh's stuff.  They left us with a crazy beautiful tablecloth from Anthropologie and a super sweet thank you note.  We are thrilled they are both making their ways as NYC working girls and enjoying their first city apartment.  It's also super fun to have family close-by.



I am beyond obsessed with the tablecloth.  It makes me so happy.

On Sunday I decided it was time to outline some classroom rules for my pre-k/kindergarteners.  We made a list and I let them color all over it so they would take ownership.  I really wanted to include a rule about not crawling on the floor and acting like cats but I resisted.



Sunday afternoon Dan and I booked bus tickets and a hotel room for a quickie overnight trip to Philly in May and then we booked plane tickets in July to go to Chicago.  I made a 1950s meal for dinner of meatloaf, sweet potatoes, green beans, and grapes.


Here is the tablecloth again because #love.


Also, I decided in this weekly post to list the movies we watched over the weekend.  Just cuz.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - good but hard to follow on account of the accents and flashbacks
Bridget Jone's Diary - great but I really wanted to comb Renee Zellweger's hair the entire time.

Happy Monday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment