August 25, 2021

Getting Ready for School

AHHHHH! We are now less than two full weeks way from Kip's first day of school!! I'm so excited for him but I'm also really nervous about all of it and I wish we didn't still have the pandemic to add to the mix. Ugh. But we're pushing through.

This spring/summer we've talked with Kip a lot about going to school and he goes back and forth between complete refusal to go, asking questions and seeming interested, and some tiny hints of excitement.

Back in mid-July, while Dan was in Kansas, I took Kip (along with Ivy) to the New Student Ice Cream Social they had one afternoon. It was hot. I drove the kids by myself for the first time ever. We had stroller drama and I eventually had to lug Ivy the whole time. Despite my own chaos, it ended up being a really small intimate event as only four families attended (including us). We got a tour of the school, Kip met and talked with the principal and school counselor, and we left with a backpack loaded with school supplies. Kip won the raffle and got a basket full of baking supplies and he also got to play on the playground. Seeing the school really helped him and he seemed excited after that.




Yesterday I took Kip to the short Pre-K Orientation. We've had such little communication from the school in general so I was really glad there was an in-person orientation day. Dan stayed home with Ivy so I could focus just on Kip and make sure he felt safe and got plenty of attention. I think the school administrators were a bit unprepared for the number of parents and kids that showed up. Kip was bored and restless during the initial announcement part and I agree it was a bit much for all those kids that age to sit for 30 minutes. But, eventually we got to go check out the classrooms. I was trying to spot Kip's name on a cubby or something to have an idea of where he would be and who his teacher is but I didn't see his name so I think that means he's in the room that wasn't set-up yet? I don't know. Hopefully we find out today or get some kind of email soon with legit information. I'm trying not to be overly frustrated. Anyways, after the tour they let the kids play on the big playground and Kip loved it.
 

 
It sounded like there are five pre-k classes. Two classes are in another building and are for the kids that have IEPs? That's my guess based on bits I pieced together. The other three classes are in the main elementary building. Breakfast and lunch are provided and there is a 45 minute rest time after lunch.

We, of course, didn't know anyone there but I did recognize one little boy that Kip had played with at the playground once this summer. I'm looking forward to Kip making some friends and for us to make some parent friends as well.
 
Ugh, I can't believe we are finally starting school. Four years went by so quickly but holding my little feisty Kippy baby feels like a lifetime ago.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment