July 10, 2017

Weekending it

We had another fun and adventurous weekend with Mandy. I know, I know, people are probably thinking...what do you live with your sister now??? No, but it's summer and there are so many fun things to do and she is so close now and having her come over is like having a mini vacation. She won't be coming over every weekend but initially it has helped with her transition and we've knocked nearly everything off of our Summer Bucket List since she got here.

On Friday after work Mandy came over and we did some work in the baby's room while we waited for Dan to come home. Then the three of us walked to the subway and took it out to Coney Island to get Nathan's hotdogs and watch a Brooklyn Cyclones baseball game.


The dogs were great (yes I had one while pregnant and yes it was fine). The game, not so much. Dan liked the game but we mostly just came for the fireworks. Since none of us were able to see fireworks on the 4th these were our belated treat.








Unfortunately I didn't get great photo of the fireworks and the smoke was pretty intense over the beach and obscured some of the view. But we still enjoyed the show.




Mandy talked about wanting a funnel cake pretty much the entire game so we headed to the boardwalk after the game and along the way WE FOUND SHAVED ICE!!!!!!! Now, you all know I've been wanting shaved ice for approximately a year and getting some was on my bucket list. After an exhaustive search on Google just a few days before, I had pretty much realized that it likely wouldn't happen since getting some would require an hour or more drive to Long Island or New Jersey. But there it was at a humble little cart on the Coney Island boardwalk. It wasn't exactly how I imagined since the flavors were limited but I enjoyed it nonetheless.


And then Mandy got her funnel cake. Dan enjoyed some of both treats before we piled in an Uber and headed home.



On Saturday we grabbed bagels and coffee and walked over to the ferry terminal to take it to Governor's Island. We took Mandy to Governor's Island last summer when she was visiting for our birthday and we had a blast (back here). We added a trip to the Island on our bucket list this summer and it was a perfect weekend to go.



We rented a surrey bike (since I can't ride a real bike while pregnant) and we rode it around the island. It was actually a good workout and not nearly as fast or as easy as riding a normal bike but we enjoyed it. The surrey bike rentals were $45 for one hour so we just kept it short.





After our ride we got lunch from a food truck and had a picnic. We got ice cream from another truck and walked around a bit before deciding to catch the ferry home in the early afternoon. We ended up waiting a pretty long time for the ferry back since it was delayed but the AC in the ferry and the leisurely ride back made up for not having to get on a subway.



It was a short day on the island since it was really hot and there wasn't too much we could do on account of my large belly. I'm looking forward to going back in the future with a kid since there are fun playgrounds, splash pads, slides, and cute activities for littles. Maybe we'll go after the baby is born and take turns riding a real bike around. That is probably too ambitious but...a girl can dream.

We relaxed in the dark of the apartment with the AC blasting for the rest of the afternoon and watched TV. Then we walked to my favorite restaurant for dinner to splurge on chips and guac and burritos for dinner.

Mandy left Sunday morning and Dan and I headed to church. We ate out with friends for lunch (clearly austerity went out the window back in May), went to another friend's high rise apartment in Downtown Brooklyn to checkout the views, and then I walked over to another friend's baby shower.


She is due one week after me (but she is carrying much smaller) and her shower theme was a cute little garden party.





The three of us are all due in early August, the second half of the church's baby boom. Three boys have already been born since January and there are two more boys and one girl on the way! Isn't that crazy?

It was a really full weekend and made me wish we had another long holiday to recover. Bummer. Full work weeks should be banned in the summertime.

I have approximately one month until the baby is due and still so much left to do. So I'm adding my weekly baby prep to-do list to the end of my Weekending it posts so I can keep myself accountable on the blog.

This week:
Pack the hospital bag
Make a list of things we need to purchase for the hospital bag
Finish shower thank you notes (only 4 left!)
Acquaint yourself with the breast pump (like, at least, take it out of the box)
Take photos of the baby's room for the blog reveal!
Type-up my "birth plan"  
Make two batches of chicken pot pie filling to freeze

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got a hot dog! During my first pregnancy, I didn't have hot dogs (unless they were burnt to a crisp) or turkey sandwiches, etc. This time around, I've enjoyed hot dogs, chili dogs, and Subway sandwiches (obviously pre diabetes), and it was glorious!
    I'm also glad you found shaved ice! We take it for granted here in the south when the little stands pop up in nearly every Wal-Mart & Winn Dixie parking lot. :)
    I can't believe it's already time for you to pack your hospital bag! Eek! Time is flying! So glad Mandy lives close by to enjoy it all with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand why the shaved ice craze hasn't come north?? And now, I'm craving hot dogs.

      Delete
  2. Love the garden theme for that baby shower. And I especially like the Polaroid picture scrapbook idea. Looks like you've been having a good time with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. It's been so much fun having Mandy around!

      Delete