July 27, 2017

OB Breakfasts

Capturing memories here, which I'm sure most people don't care about, but something I don't want to forget.

The amount of doctor's appointments you have to go to when you are pregnant is sort of wild. First it's once a month, then it's by-weekly, and now we are into our weekly appointments. Those plus all the ultrasound appointments. When we first found out I was pregnant I was a little worried about being able to schedule appointments around our work schedules. I wanted to avoid using sick or vacation time for these appointments since saving those days for my maternity leave was really important. Fortunately my OB's office opens at 7:30 am and Dan and I were able to schedule all of our routine visits (except for one) in the early morning before either of us had to be at work!!! Of course we had to get up extra early to factor-in the commuting time, but the OB office is about 10 minutes walk from where I work and next to the subway Dan has to catch to get to his work. So with the frequent early mornings appointments, Dan and I made a habit of getting breakfast together with still plenty left of time for us to get to work.

These breakfast dates were entirely not in line with our no spending austerity but I just decided that we would likely never have the opportunity to enjoy regular breakfast dates again so it became a special treat. Now that our appointments are every week until the baby arrives, it's even more special and I will definitely miss these quiet occasions when they are over.

We always go to Pret a Manger for breakfast because it's fast, affordable, and because hot flaky pastries. Plus their coffee is really good and Dan likes their fresh juice or lemonade selection. Is it the most healthy choice? No. But it could be worse and it's a happy memory and therefore justified.


I've thought a lot lately about how small parts of our routine will be dramatically altered once the baby arrives. We generally don't go on planned "dates" but we do go out a lot which are dates in a sense and I'm trying to treasure those times now and make space for them to continue in some capacity in the future. Weekday breakfast dates might not work so well after the baby but I will look back on them fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment