February 28, 2017

Symptoms and Cravings

I'm wrapping-up my first trimester recap today and rolling it together with second trimester tid-bits. 

I feel like I've been pretty fortunate with the pregnancy symptoms. I did not have any morning sickness (praise the Lord) and most of the symptoms I experienced or am experiencing are things I normally have just in an more extreme version. 

Symptoms
Constant constipation. I've always had slow digestion so now it's just worse. Oh joy.
Fatigue
Frequent urination. I expect to never sleep through the night for the rest of my life.
Tender ladies. This was actually pretty mild
Bloating. Thank you slow digestion.
Irritable (not sure if this was worse than normal, you'd have to ask Dan)
Tailbone pain. This was really painful when it first happened. I'm used to it now.
HORRIBLE acne. Like the worst acne I've ever had in my entire life. I'm pretty sure this is not what they mean by "pregnancy glow"
Heightened sense of smell. This is a terrible thing to have living in NYC

I've also had some more "rare" symptoms which I had no clue even existed

My abdomen muscles split which is called diastasis and now I have a large bulge that appears when I flex my abdomen. According to Google this is likely permanent. Perfect.
Restless Leg Syndrome. This is typically only at night but it's weird.

The Bump
I started showing right around 13 weeks and while I personally didn't think it was obvious, total strangers did notice. Now it's basically impossible to hide and people give me inquisitive looks at work. I do not enjoy this. I think a lot of it is just bloating because every morning the bump appears gone but by the end of the day I feel like a balloon. See? It's barely there in my opinion.


My belly button has always been an outie and it is also slightly herniated from a former surgery. It sticks out even more now so it looks like I have a tiny bump on top of a larger bump. Like a cherry on a scoop of ice cream. 

I started wearing some maternity clothes around 13 weeks but a few of my normal pants still fit and a lot of my tops will be fine for awhile. My mom and Mandy sent me a few dresses and tops so it's fun to wear those. A friend lent me a bag of clothes to go through but she is petite and I am not so nothing fit.

I told my dance class around 11 weeks because I was missing class periodically and I didn't want my teacher to think I was quitting. My classmates were all so supportive and kind. They are all much older than me and are kind of like mother figures so they've given me lots of tips and love.

Most people at work still don't know. Although I know most suspect.

Cravings
I've mentioned before that I typically always crave sour cream. This craving just increased. I could eat that stuff daily. I really craved dairy in the first trimester and I would have a glass of chocolate milk every day. Other things I've craved: buttermilk chicken sandwiches from McDonald's, crusty bread with butter and Parmesan cheese, cold water, chips and salsa, sour cream, croissants, sour cream...did I mention that? And recently, honey bunches of oats.

Aversions have been pretty minor. I lost all interest in coffee during the first trimester but it came back in the second trimester. I don't need it like I used to but I like a cup of decaf every few days or one fun drink from Starbucks on occasion. I am also grossed out by mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and meatloaf. Yuck, I was grossed out just typing that.

Bump for Joy
Jessy bought me this cute little journal at the beginning of the first trimester. I didn't do anything with it for the first few weeks but I did start entering details around 8 weeks.


It's a quick and easy way to document things without feeling overwhelmed. I want to be able to remember details about this pregnancy but I also don't have a huge urge to do the popular things like take a bump photo every week or track every little change. I'd be happy to never see picture of my face during this time so the book is just the right amount of commitment for me. It has some fun question prompts a few lines for every week where you can track weight gain or bump size. I just jot down how I was feeling that week or anything we saw or heard. There are also little pockets for each trimester where I am keeping the ultrasound photos for now.


Purchases
We have purchased nothing for the baby so far. A friend has given me a bunch of board books since she gets them for free and Jessy got us a cute pair of Toms booties. I've bought a few books for myself to read and I only just started thinking about what we want to put on a registry. I feel really behind in this area but I know this baby will want for nothing so I'm not too worried.

So that's where we are right now. I feel like I'm treading water in the deep end but I remember  feeling this way with wedding planning and everything eventually worked out, so on wards and upwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment